- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
This unit commences in Trimester 1 2014
* Offered at Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus from 2016 for E377 students
Students must be enrolled in course E377, D347 or D351.
D347 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies A for their 1st teaching method area.
D351 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies 2A for their 2nd teaching method area.
5 X 3 hours distributed over the trimester
10 days - 2 days per week for 5 weeks in same secondary setting as Trimester 1
This is the fifth of the six units in the education studies major. This unit aims to engage students in the larger discourses of education policy as lived out in the school environment. The students will explore and critique how schools respond to public policy initiatives and community and societal demands and profiles. The students will engage with theoretical understandings from the political, economic and social domains.The contact hours for this unit are interspersed throughout the trimester to accommodate in-depth and contextualised discussion of the policy agenda and environment.
This unit includes 10 days professional experience - 2 days per week for 5 weeks in the same secondary setting as Trimester 1. During these days the preservice teacher will:
- teach lessons for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school in both methods [one method for Arts (D347)] for a total of 2 lessons per day
- observe 2 lessons per day (one in each method where two methods taken) and other areas
- attend meetings, be involved in yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community
- attend a School Council meeting where possible
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Pre-service teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff.
Teacher case study 50% 1500 words.
Student case study 50% 1500 words.
Assessing the professional experience
This component is assessed primarily by the supervising classroom teacher in consultations with the pre-service teacher.
Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
Unit Fee Information