EPP406 - Professional Identity and Curriculum Work
|Year||2016 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
Student must be enrolled in course E377, D351 or D347
E377 students must have completed or are completing their Senior Health and Human Development Curriculum Studies
D347 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies B for their 2nd teaching method area.
D351 students must have completed or are completing their Secondary Curriculum Studies 2B for their 1st teaching method area.
1 x 1 hour Class per fortnight, 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week (21 hours)
Professional experience: Students will be required to complete a 10 and 25 day professional experience placements.
This is the sixth of the six units in the Education Studies Major. This unit is the final Education Studies Major unit. The unit engages with the transition from pre-service teacher to in-service teacher. The students will revisit their professional stance as it has developed from the beliefs articulated in Year 1 through to this final stepping off point.
They will gather evidence, document, analyse and reflect on practice to investigate and examine the role of the teacher and professional standards in secondary contexts. Students will select key teaching, learning and assessment artefacts aligned with the relevant professional standards, and build their professional portfolio to provide evidence of their professional identity and understanding of curriculum as community and complexity. Ethical and legal imperatives in teachers work will also be addressed. Students will be involved in online communication with staff and peers as they develop their final professional portfolio entries.
This unit includes 25 days professional experience – a five week block in trimester 2, in a secondary setting. During these days the pre-service teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment
- plan units of work/whole class program for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school using an appropriate format for extended planning as discussed with supervising teachers
- teach lessons for a class at junior and/or senior levels of the school; the equivalent of 2x50 minute lessons per day (one in each method) over the 25 day period.
- observe lessons: equivalent of 1x50 minute lesson in each method, per day, over the duration of the placement.
- become fully involved in the life and operations of the school, as per a beginning teacher
- conduct 3-5 parent/student/teacher interviews
Professional decision making task 30%
Deakin Authentic Teacher Assessment 70%
Hurdle Requirement: Satisfactory completion of the professional experience placement is required in order to pass this unit