- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Unit chair:||J Cripps Clark|
Must be enrolled in course E760.
3 hours per week or equivalent
Online teaching methods require internet access. Please refer to the most current computer specifications.
The unit will consist of the following topics:
• Children’s perceptions of scientists and science; and children’ science conceptions.
• Theories of learning: constructivist and socio-cultural perspectives.
• Appropriate pedagogies: the SIS and POLT components, conceptual change strategies, scaffolding, questioning; inclusivity.
• Linking research literature (including theoretical perspectives) to practice.
• VELS and Curriculum Planning – planning and implementing a sequence of science and design, creativity and technology activities; Integrated curriculum.
• Science Investigations - design, measurement, data representation and analysis, and writing in science.
• The nature of science; the relationship between technology (design, creativity and technology) and science.
• The literacies of science, the role of representation in learning science;
• Higher order thinking and reasoning; creativity and imagination;
• Resources for a contemporary primary science classroom: the use of ICT to support learning in science, community resources.
• Assessment, as, of and for learning – (diagnostic and formative and summative)
• Science conceptual areas would include: Floating and sinking, force and energy, light, heat, animal and plant structure and function, biodiversity, life cycles and animal behaviour, rocks, earth and atmospheric processes, environmental science, sustainability, the nature of science.
• The technology process: Materials, systems and information in Design, Creativity and Technology, Safety
Task 1: 50%, Science and technology teaching – documenting and reporting on lesson and unit planning, teaching and assessment of student learning
Task 2: 50%, Critical analysis of teaching skills, knowledge and philosophy – science content knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge and pedagogical techniques
EST400 Technology Education Reader (2009 compilation) Material will be supplemented with relevant current articles.
Hubber, P & Tytler, R 2005, Ideas for Teaching Science: Years P-8. Deakin University Burwood (CDROM and online resource)
Skamp, K 2008, Teaching primary science constructively 3rd edn, Thomson, Melbourne.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.