- Study at Deakin
- Life at Deakin
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||J Cripps Clark|
Must be enrolled in course E760.
Campus: 6 x 2 hour weekly school and community based seminars, 6 hours of small group teachings , and regular engagement with online resources.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The unit covers the following topics:
• children’s perceptions of scientists and science and children’s alternative science concepts;
• science and design & technologies pedagogies: conceptual change strategies, multi-modal representations;
• linking research literature (including theoretical perspectives) to practice;
• AusVELS and Curriculum Planning – planning and implementing a sequence of science and design and technologies lessons;
• science Investigations – design, measurement, data representation and analysis, and writing in science;
• the nature of science and the relationship between design and technologies and science;
• the literacies of science and the role of representation in learning science; • higher order thinking and reasoning, creativity and imagination;
• resources for a contemporary primary science classroom: the use of ICT to support learning in science and community resources; • assessment, as, of and for learning – diagnostic and formative and summative;
• science conceptual knowledge: including floating and sinking, force and energy, light, heat, animal and plant structure and function, biodiversity, life cycles and animal behaviour, rocks, earth and atmospheric processes, environmental science, sustainability, the nature of science.
• the technology process; and
• safety in science and design and technologies.
Learning Report 50% of assessment 2,500 words (individual) or equivalent
Teaching Report 50% of assessment, 5,000 words - group of two or 2,500 words - individual or equivalent.
Skamp, K. (ed) 2012. Teaching Primary Science Constructively (4th ed). Melbourne: Cengage
Hubber, P. & Tytler, R. 2005, Ideas for Teaching Science: Years P-8. Burwood, Australia: Deakin University (online resource http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/education/sci-enviro-ed/)
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.