ESP701 - Education and Development of Exceptional Learners
|Year||2017 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Cloud (online)|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
This unit focuses on the current understandings of students with exceptional learning abilities. Topics covered include conceptions of intelligence, giftedness and talent; identification; social and emotional needs; underachievement; students at risk; curriculum models and program planning.
1. Essay, 40%. Related to current understandings of the education and development of exceptional learners. This essay requires a clear and thorough analysis of gifted theories and an understanding of multiple factors related to gifted education (socio-cultural, gender bias, motivation, self-efficacy and twice exceptionality). 2500 words
2. Project, 50%. A project applying theory to practice through the analysis of a gifted student (in their school) or the analysis of a real case study of a gifted child. This task requires a demonstration of the characteristics of gifted students; social, emotional, family, gender and cultural associations; analysis of school, State and National policies and gifted education programs suitable for teaching the specific gifted student. 3000 words
3. Online discussions 10%Participation in two online discussions. The first based on a selected weekly theme/topic with clear links to the literature. The second post, a film review that evaluates the message being imparted to audiences with regards to socially sanctioned expectations or behaviours of the ‘gifted’. 500 words.
HURDLE REQUIREMENTS FOR E734 and E744SP STUDENTS ONLY
- Completion and documentation of 2 days of professional development relating to the Practicum Case Study.
- Knowledge of relevant support services related to the field
Students who fail a hurdle requirement will be ineligible for a Pass Conceded grade for that unit and will receive a result of no more than 44% for that unit, waived under special consideration arrangements.
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon