ESP701 - Education and Development of Exceptional Learners
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||C Spicer|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
This unit focuses on the current understandings of students with exceptional learning abilities. Topics covered include conceptions of intelligence, giftedness and talent; identification; social and emotional needs; underachievement; students at risk; curriculum models and program planning.
1. Essay, 40%. Related to current understandings of the education and development of exceptional learners. This essay requires a clear and thorough analysis of gifted theories and an understanding of multiple factors related to gifted education (socio-cultural, gender bias, motivation, self-efficacy and twice exceptionality). 2500 words
2. Project, 50%. A project applying theory to practice through the analysis of a gifted student (in their school) or the analysis of a real case study of a gifted child. This task requires a demonstration of the characteristics of gifted students; social, emotional, family, gender and cultural associations; analysis of school, State and National policies and gifted education programs suitable for teaching the specific gifted student. 3000 words 3. Online discussions 10%Participation in two online discussions. The first based on a selected weekly theme/topic with clear links to the literature. The second post, a film review that evaluates the message being imparted to audiences with regards to socially sanctioned expectations or behaviours of the ‘gifted’. 500 words.
HURDLE REQUIREMENTS FOR E744SP STUDENTS ONLY
- Completion and documentation of 2 days of professional development relating to the Practicum Case Study.
- Knowledge of relevant support services related to the field
Students who fail a hurdle requirement will be ineligible for a Pass Conceded grade for that unit and will receive a result of no more than 44% for that unit, waived under special consideration arrangements.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.