ESS444 - Science: Curriculum Study
|Year||2017 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
(For students enrolled in courses D342, D344, D351, E359, E365, E377 and E455 only)
Campus: 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Lesson planning in science;
- The nature of science and rationale for teaching it;
- Research into students’ understandings of science and implications for teaching science;
- Contemporary understandings about students’ learning of science;
- Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) structure as it relates to the teaching of science.
- The Nature of Science and implications for the teaching and learning of science – models and representations in science, and argumentation;
- Assessing the development of students’ understandings and skills in science;
- Teaching and learning strategies to support students’ understandings in science;
- Planning and management of practical science learning activities;
- Scientific literacy and literacies of science; and
- Applications of ICT in the science classroom.
1. Presentation of a teaching resource from a science education journal (500 words, 20%).
2. Concept map (500 words or equivalent, 20%).
3. Major assignment requiring the development of a sequence of lessons within the relevant contemporary curriculum document (e.g. Victorian Essential Learning Standards) (3000 words, 60%).
All tasks will be criterion-referenced.
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon