ESS744 - Science: Curriculum Study
|Year||2016 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
For students enrolled in course E760 only
|Unit chair:||P Hubber|
Campus: 1 x 3 hour Seminar per week
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
Topics to be addressed in this unit include:
- Lesson planning in science;
- The nature of science and rationale for teaching it;
- Research into students’ understandings of science and implications for teaching science;
- Contemporary understandings about students’ learning of science;
- Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) structure as it relates to the teaching of science.
- The Nature of Science and implications for the teaching and learning of science – models and representations in science, and argumentation;
- Assessing the development of students’ understandings and skills in science;
- Teaching and learning strategies to support students’ understandings in science;
- Planning and management of practical science learning activities;
- Scientific literacy and literacies of science; and
- Applications of ICT in the science classroom.
Review and Presentation of a Teaching Resource 20%
Review and presentation of a teaching resource found in the science teaching journal literature. (1000 words)
Concept Mapping Task 20%
Construction of a concept map of a set of prescribed science education pedagogical terms.
Development of a Science Learning and Teaching Unit 60%
A full planning document that provides details of the teaching of a complete science topic taught in Years 7-10. (3000 words)
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price