- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
(For students enrolled in course E760 only)
|Unit chair:||P Hubber|
A sub-major sequence in one area of science or an approved equivalent.
3 hours per week or equivalent
The unit will consist of the following topics:
• Productive use of excursions and incursions in science;
• Laboratory management policies and procedures, legal responsibilities of the science teacher;
• Preparation and storage of laboratory chemicals and biological materials;
• Ways of using community science resources including local industry and government agencies;
• Effective use of web based resources for science teaching and learning;
• Strategies for the effective preparation and presentation of teachers' demonstrations;
• Strategies for the effective use of a range of equipment, including learning technologies such as data-logging, computers and graphic calculators: strategies for the effective preparation and management of laboratory activities undertaken by students;
• Formative and summative assessment of practical activities; and
• Research related to the effective use of practical activities in science learning
Task 1: Portfolio of Reports 70% Part A: Laboratory management report on the basis of an audit of laboratory practices at a particular secondary school.
Part B: Teacher Demonstration: The presentation and discussion of a teacher demonstration as well as a written summary of the demonstration; and
Part C: Electronic Portfolio that involves a collection of science teaching resources with a written rationale for their use in a contemporary science classroom.
Task 2: Research Assignment 30% (2000 words)Research assignment that discusses the benefits and difficulties in undertaking excursions and provide details of a viable excursion experience that is embedded in a particular science curriculum.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.