- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
For students enrolled in course E760 only
|Unit chair:||P Hubber|
A sub-major sequence in one area of science or an approved equivalent.
1 x 3 hour weekly tutorial
This unit focuses on the teaching and learning of science in practical activity situations, the role of digital technology in the science classroom and the affordances to learning science through student engagement in informal settings. This unit also has a focus on critiquing and developing resources to enhance the teaching and learning of science.
The unit will consist of the following topics:
• Productive use of excursions and incursions in science;
• Laboratory management policies and procedures, legal responsibilities of the science teacher;
• Preparation and storage of laboratory chemicals and biological materials;
• Ways of using community science resources including local industry and government agencies;
• Effective use of web based resources for science teaching and learning;
• Strategies for the effective preparation and presentation of teacher's demonstrations;
• Strategies for the effective use of a range of equipment, including learning technologies such as data-logging, computers and graphic calculators: strategies for the effective preparation and management of laboratory activities undertaken by students;
• Formative and summative assessment of practical activities; and
• Research related to the effective use of practical activities in science learning
Task 1: Teacher Demonstration 25% (1000 words): The presentation and discussion of a teacher demonstration as well as a written summary of the demonstration.
Task 2: Research Assignment 35% (3000 words): Research assignment that discusses the benefits and difficulties in undertaking excursions and provide details of a viable excursion experience that is embedded in a particular science curriculum.
Task 3: Electronic Portfolio 40% (2000 words): This involves a collection of science teaching resources with a written rationale for their use in a contemporary science classroom.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.