ESS767 - Senior Biology: Curriculum Study
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Cloud (online)|
(For students enrolled in course E760 only)
|Unit chair:||P White|
ESS744 and a sub-major sequence in one area of biology or an approved equivalent.
EME214, EME467, ESS267, ESS467
3 hours per week or equivalent
Topics to be addressed in this unit include
• The place of biology in the curriculum of post-primary schools;
• The VCE Biology Study Design and other senior biology curricula;
• Alternative approaches to the learning and teaching of biology;
• Common difficulties in the learning of biology;
• Curriculum development and assessment;
• Current texts and resources, including those which are internet-based;
• The roles of the laboratory, the virtual laboratory and field work;
• Ethical issues in the teaching of biology.
Difficult Concept 45% A review of the literature on the nature and implications for the teaching and learning of a difficult concept in the Biology curriculum. (2000 words)
Curriculum Goals 25% A multimedia presentation that provide a rationale for undertaking senior biology as a subject for a student's audience. (1000 words)
Outline of a Unit of Work 30% Provide a course outline for one complete Area of Study within the VCE Biology curriculum. (1000 words)
Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority, 2006, Biology Study Design, Accreditation 2006-2011, The Victorian Government Bookshop, Melbourne.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.