ETP201 - Teacher - Learner Relationships
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Warrnambool, Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
|Unit chair:||D Toe|
J Lang (Burwood (Melbourne))
D Toe (Waurn Ponds (Geelong))
G Hope-Rowe (Warrnambool)
Students must have passed ETP101 or ETP102 & must have passed 4 credit points at level 1
Students must be enrolled in course E359
3 hours per week. This unit also involves 10 whole days of supervised professional experience
Students must pass all components of this unit in order to progress to the next ETP unit in the professional education sequence.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
This is the second unit of the professional studies strand. The unit will involve in-depth and contextualised discussion of the ways learners are ‘known’ in classrooms. Students will adopt a range of ways of seeing learners from the theoretical literature from this unit and critique notions of equity and diversity within learning environments. The students will finally critique these revised ways of seeing learners through revisiting the place of their own beliefs and philosophical stance.
This unit includes 10 consecutive days professional experience. During these days the pre-service teacher will:
- observe, identify and record demonstrated features of a safe, inclusive, engaging and challenging learning environments.
- collect and analyse policy documents relating to these features
- attend meetings, yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community.
- supervise the work of small groups of students and work with individuals.
- as a pair and with supervisor, work toward team teaching whole class.
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Pre-service teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff.
Assessment Learning Log, Equivalent to 1000 words, 25%
Learner Community Portraiture, Equivalent to 1200 words, 30%
Perspectives of a learner, 1800 words, 45%
Hurdle Requirement: Assessing the Professional Experience
For students enrolled in School of Education courses, the professional experience component is assessed primarily by the class-based teacher who advises the Unit Chair. Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
A custom book by Oxford University Press Publishers, “Teacher- Learner Relationships” will be available in the university bookshop for this unit.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.