ETP401 - Assessment: Ways of Knowing Learners
Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Warrnambool
|Unit chair:||M Dixon|
M Dixon (Burwood (Melbourne))
J Hodgens (Waurn Ponds (Geelong))
B Walker-Gibbs (Warrnambool)
Students must have passed four units in ETP101, ETP102, ETP201, ETP301, ETP302
Students must be enrolled in course E359
3 hours per week. This unit also involves compulsory days of supervised professional experience- details will be provided by the Professional Experience Office.
Students must pass all components of this unit in order to progress to the next ETP unit in the professional education sequence.
You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The unit will engage students in:
- Design and critique of the range of assessment processes including use of criteria and rubrics within primary schools
- Critical positioning of assessment tasks in local curriculum contexts.
- Pedagogical readings of assessment applications in schools
- Analysis of student responses to assessment tasks
- Analysis of data generated from national and international assessment protocols
This unit includes compulsory days professional experience. During these days the pre-service teacher will:
- undertake an orientation to the school environment.
- plan, incorporate and evaluate assessment principles in their pedagogical and curriculum practices.
- teach whole class for at least two lessons a day leading to teaching at least 3 whole days
- attend meetings including a School Council meeting, be involved in yard duty, school activities and any opportunities for engagement with the broader school community.
- attend and participate in parent/teacher (/student) interviews.
- keep a journal (electronic and/or hardcopy) in which evidence of their planning, observations, collected documents, participation in school activities and reflections are kept. Pre-service teachers will be expected to share their journal with their supervising teachers and appropriate University teaching staff.
Assessment; Reading the Data, 800 words, 40%
Assessment: Knowing the Learner, 1200 words, 60%
Hurdle Requirement: Assessing the Professional Experience
For students enrolled in School of Education courses, the professional experience component is assessed primarily by the class-based teacher who advises the Unit Chair. Satisfactory completion of the Professional Experience component is compulsory in order for the student to progress.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.