EXC425 - Literacy and Numeracy Across the Curriculum
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne)|
(For students enrolled in course E377 and D351 only)
|Unit chair:||E Loong|
1 x 1 hour Class per week, 1 x 2 hour Seminar per week (9 weeks).
This unit includes:
- The nature of numeracy and the extent to which it encompasses not only mathematical concepts and skills (e.g. numerical, spatial, graphical, statistical and algebraic), but also mathematical thinking, general thinking skills, problem solving strategies and a deep understanding of the context within which these concepts and skills are to be applied.
- Language and literacy as social constructs. Theories of reading and writing processes; oral language and its importance in learning; teacher talk and its role in student learning; and second language learning and the second language learner.
- Critical evaluation of teaching, learning and assessment materials from a literacy and numeracy perspective, including an examination of the language of texts and genres across different curriculum areas.
- The development of teaching strategies to discern and respond to the inherent literacy and numeracy demands and opportunities across the curriculum.
- The numeracy and literacy demands on teachers in their professional lives in areas such as planning, timetabling, assessment and reporting.
- Developing a whole school approach to literacy and numeracy.
A group presentation based on an analysis of interviews with people in the workplace regarding the literacy and numeracy demands in their working lives (40%).
A written assignment based on an analysis of the literacy and numeracy demands of a unit of work, together with reflection on appropriate teaching strategies to support student learning (60%).
Assessment will total the equivalent of 4000 words.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.