EXE732 - Social Justice and Difference
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Cloud (online)|
|Unit chair:||D Marshall|
|Incompatible with:||EAE746, EEI702|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
Educators are increasingly dealing with questions of difference in terms of their practice, their students and
the diverse school communities in which they are situated. However, there are surprisingly few opportunities
to reflect on and analyse the effects of these differences on educational practice. This unit engages students in
a range of theoretical debates about social justice, difference, and the 'politics of identity'. In particular, it
foregrounds theoretical engagements with questions linked to gender, sexuality, social class, race, ethnicity,
disability and the intersections between them.
On completion of this unit you should be able to:
1. Develop a range of conceptual understandings about social justice and difference;
2. Undertake critical analyses of issues of social justice and difference in education and educational
3. Design new ways of working strategically in educational contexts around issues of social justice and
4. Demonstrate the capacity to inform practice by drawing on the theoretical understandings of social
justice and difference, and
5. Understand the historical, policy and practice contexts that contribute to current understandings of
social justice and difference.
Annotated Bibliography of 3000 words worth 50%
Critical Essay of 3000 words worth 50%
HURDLE REQUIREMENT – FOR ALL STUDENTS enrolled in EXE732 including E744SP students.
Students are required to post three responses to posts from their colleagues which then feed into the final assignment.
Additional HURDLE REQUIREMENT – FOR E744SP STUDENTS ONLY
Completion and documentation of 2 days of professional development relating to the Practicum Case Study.
Students who fail a hurdle requirement will be ineligible for a Pass Conceded grade for that unit and will receive a result of no more than 44% for that unit, waived under special consideration arrangements.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.