HNN715 - Leadership and Management in Nursing
|Year||2017 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Cloud (online)|
Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin
This unit will assist students in developing an understanding of the leadership skills, qualities and behaviours required to influence clinical practice and develop a culture of patient safety. Contemporary issues relevant to leadership and management will be explored with a focus on leadership models, socio-economic and political context of care delivery, effective communication, decision making and critical thinking in relation to providing quality, evidence-based patient care.
The unit content exposes students to leadership and management in healthcare contextualising the skills, qualities and behaviours relevant for everyday practice. The importance of effective clinical leadership in ensuring a high quality healthcare system that provides safe and efficient care will be explored.
The unit includes:
- Socio-economic and political context of patient care delivery;
- Patient centred care – developing a culture of safety;
- Clinical leadership in contemporary clinical practice;
- Characteristic of clinical leaders and the facilitation of multidisciplinary care;
- Problem solving, decision making and critical thinking;
- Performance and quality improvement strategies;
- Change management and conflict resolution;
- Team building and effective leadership;
- Organizational communication; and
- Legal and ethical aspects of patient care.
Assessment task 1: Written assignment, online activity (2000 words) 40%
Assessment task 2: Written assignment, summative assessment (3000 words) 60%
Unit Fee Information
Unit fee information available soon