HPY310 - Coaching and Counselling Groups for Behaviour Change
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong)|
Burwood (Melbourne): 1 x 3 hour seminar per week
Waurn Ponds (Geelong): 1 x 2 hour seminar per week
The unit aims to enable students to develop an understanding of, and practice in, current approaches in evidence and non-evidenced-based coaching, facilitating and counselling for behaviour change practices from a group-work perspective.
The unit will include:
- Developing awareness of group-work principles and group dynamics;
- Practical, generic coaching, facilitating and counselling skills applicable to a range of group environments;
- Awareness of cross-disciplinary applications of the coaching/counselling process in group settings and an ethical framework for group-work practices.
The unit is applicable to a range of disciplines and highly relevant for students wishing to develop skills as a coach, trainer/facilitator, supervisor, manager, tutor, presenter or group counsellor.
Note: students will be provided with practical techniques and support to help overcome fear of public speaking and presenting.
Assessment task 1: Design and write a group-training program for a 1-day training seminar that involves:
- The training of at least two skills or, two personal development techniques for participants;
- Facilitating at least two group discussion sessions 30%
Assessment task 2: Provide an 1800-word (maximum) essay incorporating a rationale justifying the approach, strengths, philosophy and content to be utilised in the 1-day training session plan 30%
Assessment task 3: Students, working in pairs, will plan and facilitate a 30-minute group training session within a seminar 40%
Assessment task 4: Seminar attendance: Students will be required to attend a minimum of 80% of campus seminars as a hurdle requirement to obtain a pass or above in the unit. Seminars will be 3 hours duration.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.