HSN742 - Food Service Management
|Year||2016 unit information|
This unit is only available to students enrolled in H718 Master of Dietetics
HSN740 and HSN744
Week 1: Full-time at Burwood (Melbourne); weeks 2 to 5: full time on placement; week 6: 4 hours at Burwood (Melbourne).
Narrated power points delivered electronically (3 hours) and eSimulation (1 hour). Seminars, placements and assessment tasks may take place outside of Deakin University teaching periods.
There is an enrolment quota for this unit. Students wishing to enrol in this unit need to contact the unit chair and/or placement coordinator.
The unit provides students with an overview of the dietetics practitioner in food service management, preparing students for their food service placement. Skill development includes principles of food service management, covering menu planning and production, recipe standardisation, evaluation of new menu items for client(s) in health care facilities, management of information systems, quality management in food service, food service systems, food safety, human resource and financial management, Australian health care system, contracting of food services, the development of food and nutrition policies and guidelines and their application to food service.
Assessment task 1: Group food service project report (individual contribution 1500 words per student) 35% plus Oral presentation 5% - total 40%
Assessment task 2: Menu assessment (2500 words) 25%
Assessment task 3: Test (1.5 hours) 35%
Assessment task 4: Hurdle requirement - Professional placement assessment of competency (ungraded pass/fail)
Failure of the practicum component will lead to a fail in this unit and may lead to exclusion.
Department of Human Services policy and Working with Children Act
In accordance with Department of Human Services policy*, all students are required to undertake a National Police Record Check prior to clinical placements in each calendar year of their course. In accordance with the Working with Children Act 2005**, students may be required to undertake a Working with Children Check at commencement of the unit. Students who fail to obtain a Police Record Check and a Working with Children Check (when required) prior to the commencement of the unit will not be able to undertake clinical placement and this will impede progress in the course. Students are required to undertake compulsory immunisations to satisfy the requirements of health organisations where they will be undertaking their clinical learning experience. A health organisation may refuse to accept a student for placement if the student’s immunisation status is not satisfactory to the health organisation.
* Department of Human Services 2007, Service agreement information kit for funded organisations 2006–2009, State Government of Victoria, Melbourne, retrieved 1 July 2007.
** Department of Justice 2007, Working with Children Act 2005, Victoria, Australia retrieved April 2012
Duncan, P., & Jensen, J. 2011, Professional Foodservice, 2nd ed, Pearson, New Zealand.
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price