SEV215 - Water Systems
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
Nil (students are expected to have knowledge of basic concepts and related definitions in mechanics of fluids)
3 x 1 hour class per week, 1 x 1 hour seminar per week.
Compulsory campus attendance requirement for all students either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or on a single scheduled day during Week 8. Typically Waurn Ponds (Geelong) enrolled students will attend the compulsory activities for this unit at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester and Cloud (online) enrolled students will attend the compulsory activities for this unit on a single scheduled day during Week 8.
Note:You will need to access substantial learning resources and experiences in CloudDeakin (Deakin’s online learning environment). Compliance with the Standards in computing, connectivity and student capability are a condition on your enrolment.
The unit introduces the fundamentals of water supply and water treatment operation and processes. This includes:
- Water supply systems - types of water supply systems, assessment of water demand, sources of water;
- Elements of hydrology - hydrological cycle, surface water hydrology, groundwater hydrology;
- Water collection and distribution - surface water collection, groundwater collection, water transmission systems, water distribution systems; pipeline and valves - hydraulics of pipelines, network of pipelines, valves and appurtenances, pumps and pumping installations;
- Wastewater collection systems – collection of sewage and stormwater; sewer materials and appurtenances; flow measurements in sewers; sewer installations and testing;
- Hydraulics of sewer systems – quantities of wastewater flows, design of sewers, sewer materials, appurtenances and maintenance, alternative in wastewater collection systems;
- Urban runoff and combined sewer overflow management.
Examination 60%, two assignments (15%, 25%) 40%. To be eligible to obtain a pass in this unit, students must achieve an overall mark of at least 40% in the examination and compulsory attendance is required by all students to unit-specific activities at Waurn Ponds (Geelong). These unit-specific activities may be undertaken either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or during a single day of unit-specific activities scheduled during Week 8.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.