SEV328 - Water and Wastewater Treatment
|Year||2016 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
Campus: 1 x 2 hour class per week, 1 x 2 hour seminar per week, 2 x 2 hour practicals per trimester. Students must attend and participate in compulsory activities for this unit at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin. Students must attend and participate in mandatory activities at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus on the particular scheduled day during the trimester intensive week.
The unit will address the following areas:
- Introduction to Water treatment – Historical development of water treatment technology; health and environmental concerns; Evolution of water treatment technology
- Water quality – water pollutant and their sources; physical and chemical quality; characterization of water and sampling; Physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics; Australian Drinking Water guidelines and WHO guidelines for drinking water
- Water treatment processes - coagulation, rapid mixing, flocculation, sedimentation, flotation, filtration, Ion exchange, adsorption, disinfection, aeration, water softening, membrane processes, Iron and Manganese removal, water plant residual management.
- Preliminary and primary wastewater treatment – Wastewater characteristics, pollutant loading, flow measurements, screening, grit removal, primary sedimentation.
- Secondary treatment processes - overview of biological treatment processes, wastewater microbiology, aerobic treatment processes, anaerobic treatment processes, biological nutrient removal, bio-solids – handling, processing, beneficial use.
- Natural treatment systems - pond treatment processes, aquatic treatment systems, land filtration, grass filtration, wetland.
Examination 60%, two assignments (15%, 25%) 40%. To be eligible to obtain a pass in this unit, students must achieve an overall mark of at least 40% in the examination and compulsory attendance is required by all students to unit-specific activities at Waurn Ponds (Geelong). These unit-specific activities may be undertaken either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or during a single day of unit-specific activities scheduled during the trimester intensive week.
Unit Fee Information
All Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), fee paying undergraduate and pre-2016 commencing students
Unit fee information available soon
2016 commencing International and full fee paying postgraduate domestic students
Your units are priced based on the course you are enrolled in. Please refer to the current year's course entry to estimate the unit cost.
You can calculate the cost of each unit by using the following calculation:
Course fee x unit EFTSL value = unit price