SEV328 - Water and Wastewater Treatment
|Year||2015 unit information|
|Enrolment modes:||Trimester 2: Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)|
Campus: 1 x 2 hour class per week, 1 x 2 hour seminar per week, 2 x 2 hour practicals per trimester. Students must attend and participate in compulsory activities for this unit at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester.
Cloud (online): Learning experiences are via CloudDeakin . Students must attend and participate in mandatory activities at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus on the particular scheduled day during Week 8.
The unit will address the following areas:
- Introduction to Water treatment – Historical development of water treatment technology; health and environmental concerns; Evolution of water treatment technology
- Water quality – water pollutant and their sources; physical and chemical quality; characterization of water and sampling; Physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics; Australian Drinking Water guidelines and WHO guidelines for drinking water
- Water treatment processes - coagulation, rapid mixing, flocculation, sedimentation, flotation, filtration, Ion exchange, adsorption, disinfection, aeration, water softening, membrane processes, Iron and Manganese removal, water plant residual management.
- Preliminary and primary wastewater treatment – Wastewater characteristics, pollutant loading, flow measurements, screening, grit removal, primary sedimentation.
- Secondary treatment processes - overview of biological treatment processes, wastewater microbiology, aerobic treatment processes, anaerobic treatment processes, biological nutrient removal, bio-solids – handling, processing, beneficial use.
- Natural treatment systems - pond treatment processes, aquatic treatment systems, land filtration, grass filtration, wetland.
Examination 60%, two assignments (15%, 25%) 40%. To be eligible to obtain a pass in this unit, students must achieve an overall mark of at least 40% in the examination and compulsory attendance is required by all students to unit-specific activities at Waurn Ponds (Geelong). These unit-specific activities may be undertaken either at scheduled sessions on multiple days during the trimester or during a single day of unit-specific activities scheduled during Week 8.
Unit Fee Information
|Student Contribution Rate*||Student Contribution Rate**||Fee rate - Domestic Students||Fee rate - International students|
* Rate for all CSP students, except for those who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
** Rate for CSP students who commenced Education and Nursing units pre 2010
Please note: Unit fees listed do not apply to Deakin Prime students.