Useful websites for self-study - Listening
These Listening web sites are a good way to improve and build upon your listening ability
- Deakin Student Learning
- Listen to English podcasts: This is an excellent site. You can listen to lots of stories on a wide range of topics or download them to your mp3 player. Language notes or quizzes are included. Look at the archive to see the full list of topics.
- Breaking News: Intermediate to Advanced Students. News stories with vocabulary and comprehension exercises. Recent stories have audio and are added weekly. You can choose stories from the theme (topic) list near the bottom of the page.
- ELISA: This site is suitable for EL1 and UP students. Listen to interviews about peoples' careers There are large word lists and the texts for each interview and you can use the site's concordancer to study the vocabulary. These two interviews also have a lot of activities.
- English Conversations: There are many different conversations, and you can listen, read the script and practice interactive listening activities. Business English topics are included.
- Enough Rope with Andrew Denton: Here, you can watch excerpts from some of the best Enough Rope interviews since 2003. Scroll down to the section watch online.
- TED: Presents speeches by famous people on all sorts of different subjects.
- VILC: The Virtual ILC is an Australian site with different sections. Go to 'Realweb' for language learning tasks; 'Easynews' to listen to news articles and answer questions or 'Listen to this' for listening about a topic. This site is only available within Victoria University.
- Behind the News: Watch and listen to the BTN news
- BBC Learn English: Listen and read the news. You can watch & listen
- ABC Radio National: The site has authentic listening material on current topics
- Adult Learning Activities: Improve your listening and reading skills
- ESL Radio: This Australian site was created by Monash University. The program guide tells you about Monash University. Click on the Listening Activities to choose a listening program
- Dr Karl: On this site Dr Karl talks about Science on ABC Radio. There are two pages- Homework has shorter conversations and Famous Moments has longer ones. On both pages, you can read and listen at the same time
- Listening and Notetaking 1
- Listening and Notetaking 2
- BHCC Library & Learning Commons
- Voice of America Special English
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab: A wonderful site dedicated to providing hours of listening practice for ESL students
- English Listening Lounge: For free and subscription access. Free guest area for various listening levels
- Sounds of English: For learners and teachers. Printable handouts, diagrams, movies and sound files
- Interesting Things for ESL Students: There are many activities to improve your English.
- Great American Speeches
- Speeches from American movies
- British Council - Learn English
- VOA Learning English
- Audio English