Useful websites for self-study - Writing
Use the following websites to revise what you have learnt in the classroom and to improve your overall writing skills.
- Deakin Student Learning:
- TLS Student Learning: General study skills, academic essay writing & exam techniques
- The Writing Centre: This site will help you with writing introductions and conclusions. Examples are also provided.
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant: An interactive online writing tutorial
- Academic Writing: Writing module: created by Victoria University (in New Zealand). You can practice all aspects of essay writing
- Case Study Report Writing: The site contains sample reports and exercises to help you write case studies and reports.
- A Guide to Grammar and Writing: With over 400 references related to grammar and writing, you might find your answer here!
- An Interactive Grammar and Writing Book: Sentence Sense 17 chapters of information and exercises: start at Chapter One for simple sentence practice. Go to Chapter 8 for problems with run-on sentences, sentence fragments and other usage problems.
- Report Writing 2:
- The structure of a Sentence:
- Simple, Compound and Complex Sentences: In order for your writing to be interesting, you will need to vary the styles of sentences that you use.
- Simple Sentences 1:
- Simple Sentences 2:
- Communication strategies for Scientists and Engineers:
- Academic literacy site:
- eSKILLS UNE: A good site for information literacy and essay writing; useful site for essay writing techniques.
- MakeBeliefsComix.com: provides templates and tools for creating comics
- Plain English at Work: a guide to help organisations develop English documents
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab: An excellent writing resource on the web
- Yes English Guide to Punctuation: tutorial covering all aspects of this subject
- UNSW Report Writing FAQ:
- A Sample Essay: This is a useful model essay showing the basic elements of constructing an academic essay. It is annotated and shows:'Structure of the essay – introduction, development point by point, and conclusion'. 'Use of sources - information located by research' and 'Comments on use of language'.
- Academic Writing: Writing module created by Victoria University (in New Zealand). You can practise all aspects of essay writing.
- Annotated Sample Essay: This annotated essay is suitable for UP students and identifies what makes a good essay.
- Essay Writing: This has a good guide to writing an essay of 250-600 words. It uses the 5 paragraph structure and is useful for Elicos 1 – UP2 and IELTS.
- Online Writing Support: Another excellent resource for helping you with academic and general writing is from Towson University. The site is suitable for UP students and the grammar is also suitable for EL1.