School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences Careers

Research and teaching

foodnutrresearchResearch forms a key element in the decisions made around human health. 

Graduates can choose to work in research and may gain employment with government and non-government organisations interested in how best to improve health.

Research careers in nutrition can be found in universities, hospitals, research institutes and in the food industry.  For more information on ‘Research’ careers you can go to our Research Careers website.

You can use your contact with lecturers and tutors to find out about possible research opportunities.

Graduates wanting to further their qualifications can elect to do an honours degree. This can lead onto a Masters by Research or PhD.

In order to become an academic or work in a university it is usual to complete a research degree such as a Masters by Research or PhD.  Academics are usually engaged in either research-focused or teaching-focused roles.

Find a comprehensive list of supervisors and their research interests

Job titles/roles:
Professor, Associate Professor, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Lecturer, Senior Research Fellow, Postdoctoral Researcher, Postdoctoral Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Scientist, Research Nutritionist, Research Assistant, University Tutor, Demonstrator.

Examples include:
Deakin University, including the Centre for Physical Activity and Nutrition Research (C-PAN)
Sydney University Nutrition Research Foundation
Australian Institute of Sport
Baker IDI
The Cancer Council of Australia
Professional associations:
The Nutrition Society of Australia
Nutrition Australia                   


Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

26th June 2013