Public health nutrition
What is public health nutrition?
Public health nutrition focuses on issues that affect the whole population rather than the specific dietary needs of individuals. The emphasis is on promoting health and disease prevention.
Public health nutrition exists within an extensive infrastructure of government and non-government organisations, service and program delivery systems and the food supply system covering production through to consumption.
What do Public Health Nutritionists do?
Public Health Nutritionists have skills in program planning, implementation and evaluation and food and nutrition policy development to help improve the healthy of populations.
Employment can be permanent or funded short term positions.
Registration as a Public Health Nutritionist
You can become a Registered Public Health Nutritionist with the Nutrition Society of Australia (NSA) if you gain sufficient work experience and develop specialist competencies in public health nutrition.
Areas of employment:
- health promotion
- community education and awareness campaigns
- program planning and implementation
- project management
- food regulation
- counselling and consultation
Public Health Nutritionist, Child Health Nutritionist, Nutrition Coordinator, Project or Program Officer, Project Manager, Health Officer, Health Promotion Officer
- Public and home health agencies
- Social service agencies
- Community health centres
- Federal, state and local government
- Department of Human Services
- Day care centres
- Health and recreation clubs
- Health maintenance organisations (HMOs)
- Public Health Association of Australia
- Australian Health Promotion Association
- Nutrition Society of Australia
- Nutrition Australia
- HSN703 Diet and Disease
- HSN705 Public Health Nutrition
- HSN706 Food Policy, Politics and Regulation
- HSN708 Nutrition Promotion and Communication
- HSN713 Food, Nutrition and Behaviour
- HSN715 Understanding Human Nutrition Research Studies
- HSN719 Population Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment
- HSN727 Advance Public Health Nutrition
- HSN734 Obesity Prevention
- HSN738 International Nutrition
- HSN741 Postgraduate Nutrition Practicum
- HSN743 Nutrition for Healthy Ageing
- HSN750 Nutrition Research Project Part A
- HSN751 Nutrition Research project Part B
- HSN760 International Perspectives in Food and Nutrition
Renee West (pdf 11KB) completed the Graduate Diploma of Human Nutrition in 2006.
Prior to studying at Deakin, Renee completed a Bachelor of Teaching/Bachelor of Health and Physical Education and decided to undertake the postgraduate Human Nutrition course due to her interest in nutrition and sports nutrition and the impact of nutrition on the body. Nutrition is also part of her teaching load and she needs to keep up to date with the changes in nutrition.