Pass conceded

This information is for students enrolled in courses owned by the Faculty of Health

The criteria for eligibility is in the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) - Procedure

A Pass Conceded grade can only be granted when it is the last unit/credit point needed to complete your degree, and where the following conditions are met:

  • has completed 11 of 12 credit points / 23 of 24 credit points / 31 of 32 credit point degree
  • the student has a mark of between 45 and 49 for the unit for which the Pass Conceded grade is being considered
  • the student has not been awarded a Pass Conceded grade for any other unit in the course or articulated suite of courses
  • the student must have received a fail grade for no more than the number of units specified in the table below.
Degree typeNumber of units in which fail grade may have been received
Three-year undergraduate degreeA fail grade in no more than three other units
Four- or five-year undergraduate degreeA fail grade in no more than four other units
Combined degreesA fail grade in no more than two other units in the relevant degree of the combined degree program

Graduate Certificate
Graduate Diploma

A fail in no more than one other unit
MastersA fail in no more than two other units


  • The Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee will consult with the Course Coordinator/s and the School APC Chair/s when deciding whether to award a Pass Conceded (PC) grade.
  • In relation to combined degree programs (e.g. Bachelor of Health Sciences / Bachelor of Arts), a student is eligible to be considered for a Pass Conceded grade in each of the component degrees.
  • In some courses, a PC grade cannot be awarded for core units in courses requiring professional registration - e.g. Bachelor of Nursing or combined Nursing degrees.

If you believe you have satisfied all of the above criteria, please email your details to from your Deakin email account with the following subject line:

Pass Conceded enquiry: [student name] - [student ID] - [course code]

You cannot apply for a PC until you are one unit/credit point short of course completion

Page custodian: Faculty of Health
Last updated: