- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Dr Claire Henderson-Wilson is a Lecturer in health promotion and ecological health and co-ordinator of the Family, Society and Health major within the Bachelor of Health Sciences. Claire has a background in family health and consumer studies and prior to commencing her PhD, worked in an Adult Training and Support Service for adults with a mild to moderate intellectually disability. Claire has ten years’ experience in people-environment research using mixed methods and she supervises a number of Honours, Masters and PhD students. Her research investigates links between housing and health; families, environments and health and the human health benefits of contact with nature.
Unit Chair: HSH105, HSH206, HSH112.
Lecturer: HSH306, HSH207 and HSH740
Housing and health
Families, environments and health
Human health benefits of contact with the natural environment
Quality of life
ARC APAI (Industry Partners) PhD scholarship holder 2003-2006
Faculty of Health, Medicine, Nursing and Behavioural Sciences Award for Excellence 2010
Health and Social Development Award for Excellence in Service 2010
IAPS (International Association for People-Environment Studies)
Claire is a founding member of the Health, Nature and Sustainability Research Group (formerly NiCHE), a member of the Academic Progress Committee and a member of the Centre for Health through Action on Social Exclusion (CHASE) all within the School of Health and Social Development. Through her role as co-ordinator of the Family, Society and Health major, Claire liaises with external partners (such as family support agencies) to enhance graduate learning outcomes and foster community partnerships. Additionally, Claire regularly peer-reviews submitted manuscripts to national and international journals.
• Australian Institute of Family Studies Conference, Melbourne, 25-27 July 2012.
• International Federation of Home Economics, Melbourne, 16-21 July 2012.
• 5th Healthy Cities: Working Together to Achieve Liveable Cities Conference, Geelong, 6 – 8, June 2012.
• First Year Higher Education Conference, Adelaide, 27-30 June 2010.
• Healthy Parks Healthy People International Congress, Melbourne, 11-16 April 2010.
• Australasian Housing Researchers’ Conference, UNSW Sydney, 5-7 August 2009.