- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Dr Garrard is a Senior Lecturer in Public Health in the School of Health and Social Development. She teaches research methods and program evaluation at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and supervises honours and higher degree students. Dr Garrard is an active researcher in the areas of physical activity promotion for women, promotion of active transport, and program evaluation.
Unit Chair HSH307
Unit Chair HSH401
Unit Chair HSH402
Dr Garrard’s research is primarily concerned with understanding the socio-environmental and personal determinants of physical activity (particularly active transport) for women, and evaluation of interventions aimed at promoting physical activity. In particular, she is interested in:
• Motivations for commencing and maintaining cycling for active transport and recreation
• Differences in cyclists’ route choices according to gender and cycling experience
• The impact of aggressive and unsafe driving on active transport
• Evaluating the effectiveness of interventions to promote active transport
• Integration of process and impact evaluation measures using an adaptation of realist evaluation.
Dr Garrard is principal investigator of the ‘Revolutions for women’s study, funded by Sport and Recreation Victoria, aimed at identifying motivations, supports and constraints on female cycling, and assessing the effectiveness of community-based programs for promoting cycling for women. She is also a principal investigator for the evaluation of the ‘Environments for health’ program, funded by the Victorian Department of Human Services.
• Public Health Association of Australia
• Australian Health Promotion Association
Dr Garrard serves on the following University committees:
• School of Health and Social Development public health research committee
• School Board
• University Discipline Committee
Dr Garrard provides advice to the following organisations:
• National Heart Foundation (Honorary advisor, health)
• Australian Bicycle Council (Health Working Group)
• Bicycle Research Network (Board member)
She is a regular reviewer for the following journals:
• Health Promotion International
• Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health
• Health Promotion Journal of Australia
• J Garrard, N Hakman (2005) Supportive environments for physical activity: exploring the impact of ‘safe’ cycling facilities on female cycling rates. Australian Health Promotion Association Conference, Canberra, March 2005.
• J Garrard (2005) Physical activity programs: propaganda or prize winners? Bicycle Federation of Australia National Cycling Conference, Brisbane, October 2005
• J Garrard (2005) Healthy revolutions: promoting cycling for women. Invited address, 1st Thinking on Two Wheels Conference, University of South Australia, January 2005.
• M Graco, J Garrard (2005) Participation in physical activity: perceptions of women with previous history of gestational diabetes. Australian Health Promotion Association Conference, Canberra, March 2005.
• C Rissel, J Garrard (2005) Cycling for active transport and recreation in Australia: status review and future directions. Fifth National Physical Activity Conference, Melbourne, October 2005