- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Dr Hanna has been a Lecturer in the School of Health and Social Development since January 2009 after moving to Australia from the UK and her previous post as research fellow in the Division of Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh. Dr Hanna is an experienced mixed-methods postdoctoral researcher in public health and health services research. In addition to her undergraduate and postgraduate teaching responsibilities in the school, she maintains an active research profile in her areas of interest (see below).
Unit chair HSH207- Socio-economic status and health
Deputy unit chair HSH204- Population health research methods
Deputy unit chair HSH303- Public health and health promotion practicum
Unit chair HSH715- Qualitative health research
Unit chair HSH725- Research for health practice
• e-health and the use of new information and communication technologies in primary care
• The social context of chronic disease management, particularly the role of community-based support groups
• The methodology of qualitative health-related research with minority ethnic groups
• Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of survey instruments
• Ethnicity and health/ health literacy, particularly in relation to cardiovascular disease
Dr Hanna regularly peer-reviews submitted manuscripts to UK and international journals. She has provided consultancy and training services on cross-cultural research issues to UK government organisations, Scottish health boards, and academic research staff.
• Hanna L, Fairhurst K, May C. Non face to face consultations and communications in primary care: results from a Scottish national survey. Annual conference of The Society for Academic Primary Care, Galway, Ireland, July 2008.
• Hanna L, May C, Fairhurst K. Primary care professionals’ views on non face to face consulting: findings from a focus group study. Annual conference of University Departments of General Practice in Scotland, Carnoustie, UK, January 2007
• Hanna L, Bhopal R, Hunt S. The challenge of developing cross-culturally valid health questionnaires for multiethnic survey research: two case studies from Scotland. Fourth International Workshop on Comparative Survey Design and
Implementation,The Hague, Netherlands, March 2006
• Hanna L, Bhopal R, Hunt S. Assessing the cultural and linguistic appropriateness of the Rose Angina Questionnaire in three ethnic groups. European Public Health Association 1st Conference of Migrant Health in Europe, Rotterdam, Netherlands, June 2004
• Hanna L, Hunt S, Bhopal R. The use of tobacco and related substances in ethnic minorities: the development of a culturally valid measure. European Public Health Association 1st Conference of Migrant Health in Europe, Rotterdam, Netherlands, June 2004