Welcome to the School of Medicine
The School of Medicine is located at Deakin’s Geelong Campus at Waurn Ponds and offers a range of courses including:-
- Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Vision Science and Master of Optometry
- Bachelor of Health and Medical Science (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate in Agricultural Health and Medicine
- Master of Clinical Leadership
- Master of Medical Science
- Doctor of Philosophy higher research degrees
The Deakin University School of Medicine is Victoria's first rural and regional medical school. We accepted our first medical students in 2008 to our postgraduate medical degree and our graduating interns have already established strong links with regional and rural hospitals, together with the Melbourne city hospitals. The medical degree is a 4 year course, with 2 years of pre-clinical education at the University campus in Waurn Ponds, and then 2 years clinical education and experience in one of our clinical schools.
As well as teaching, the School is involved in high level research in areas such as metabolic disease, cancer treatment, mental health and neuroscience, and infection and immunology. School staff participate in the university’s Strategic Research Centres (SRC) and our community partners to achieve world class results. Our SRCs and partners include:-
- Molecular and Medical Research Strategic Research Centre
- Psychiatric Health Strategic Research Centre
- Metabolic Research Unit
- Centre for Rural Emergency Medicine
- National Centre for Farmer Health
- Barwon Health
- CSIRO Australian Animal Health Laboratory
As a School we are committed to providing excellent education and research facilities and services for students and staff. We are striving for continual improvement and seeking further avenues to extend these opportunities. We look forward to welcoming you to the School of Medicine.
Student Information Session 2012 (1.65MB, pdf)
To view the pdf, click on the link above.