The Deakin medical course is distinctive and innovative.
The goal of the medical program is to contribute to the improvement
of the health and wellbeing of Australians by creating a cohort of new
who are skilled and motivated to
pursue a career in medicine in rural and regional areas either as specialists
or general practitioners.
We aim to educate our students to become doctors who are:
- Knowledgeable, experienced and committed to pursue a medical career
in rural and regional Australia;
- Oriented towards health promotion, prevention, early intervention
and chronic disease management;
- Committed to work with and empower all members of the community and
to demonstrate a strong set of values focused on social justice and
- Evidence-based, committed to interdisciplinary and team work, and
equipped to continue as life-long learners;
- Able to advance their careers in the medical profession through
practice, research, teaching and specialisation.