Human Resources Division

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a counselling service available to all Deakin staff. The Program is designed specifically to address and resolve both work related and personal problems adversely affecting work performance.

All University staff can access the EAP, which provides confidential, short-term, professional, voluntary and free counselling by qualified external providers/counsellors (social workers or psychologists).

The external provider/counsellors maintain strict confidentiality. No information regarding what is discussed within any counselling session is relayed to any other person or organisation without your consent. Personal details and your participation in the program remain confidential.

The poster should be put up in all tea/lunch rooms.

Mental Health Crisis Services and Resources

(e.g. Crisis Assessment and Treatment Teams (CATT))

Adult specialist mental health services (16-64 years) (for all areas of Victoria)

Psychiatric triage for life threatening mental health issues (information, assessment and referral, 24 hours / 7 days)

Road Trauma Helpline: 1300 367 797

How to access the EAP?

Deakin staff may refer themselves and make their own appointments, or be referred by a colleague or a supervisor. The staff member or supervisor should consider that the problem is work-related or negatively affecting work performance. Staff just need to present their Deakin staff card at their first appointment.

Common issues

These can include issues directly related to work such as workplace conflict, difficult working relationships, stress, workplace change and workplace trauma. Personal issues such as depression, grief, chronic anxiety, alcohol and substance abuse can also directly affect workplace performance and behaviour.

These issues can cause work problems such as absenteeism, friction, poor productivity, high staff turnover, reduced performance and low job satisfaction. These problems may affect your health and well-being, ability to cope with the demands of everyday life, your behaviour and work performance. Usually, the longer the problem exists, the more aspects of a person's life are affected by it.

back to top


Staff will be assessed by an EAP external provider of their choice and, if appropriate, offered counselling under the Program for one to five individual sessions. Further referrals might also be suggested.

External providers/counsellors

All external counsellors are experienced, registered psychologists and social workers with expertise in a range of issues that adults face including stress related issues, depression, anxiety and managing change (both personally and professionally).



Sigmund Burzynski and Associates
165 Myers Street
Geelong 3220
Ph: 5229 5564
Jane Whitmore
155 Myers Street
Geelong 3220
Ph: 5229 5003
Alison Lewis-Nicholson and
Pam Scott Connections

27 Little Myers Street
Geelong 3220
Ph: 5221 0358
Dianne Pearce
2/90 Gheringhap Street
Geelong, 3220.
Ph: 5277 0094

Edna Osztreicher
Shop 12, 129 Pakington St
(Pakington Arcade) Geelong West
Availability: Mon - Thurs, 8am - 8pm
Phone: 0401 265 796



Dr Heather Underwood
17 Wellman Street
Box Hill South 3128
Ph: 040 941 1331
Susan Lefroy
7/655 Victoria Street
Abbotsford 3067
Ph: 9429 6214
Danny Chabel and Barbara Fraser
200 High Street
Lower Templestowe 3107
Ph: 8850 0456

Melbourne City

CAC Counselling
Level 13, 200 Queen St
Ph: 1300 78 68 60


Dr Petra Becker
East Raglan Clinic
366 Raglan Street
Warrnambool 3280
Ph: 5562 9466
Cecilia Carvalho
East Raglan Clinic
366 Raglan Parade
Warrnambool 3280
Ph: 03 5562 9466

Managing and leading staff

If you are responsible for managing staff and you want personal support or assistance with interpersonal conflicts, communication processes and meeting the challenge of human resource management, you can obtain support through your HR Services Partner in Human Resources. Similarly if you want advice and assistance with organisational change, job and organisational design, staff development, career and succession planning or performance management, please contact your HR Services Partner in Human Resources.

Feedback, issues or concerns about the program

If you have any feedback, issues or concerns with the Employee Assistance Program or providers, these can be raised on a confidential basis with the Manager OHS.

back to top

Deakin University acknowledges the traditional land owners of present campus sites.

8th April 2014