Local occupational health and safety committees
1. Faculties, divisions and other units may have occupational health and safety committees to meet their own consultation needs.
2. Local occupational health and safety committees will meet the following minimum legislative criteria (under Section 72 of the OHS Act):
- at least half of the members of a health and safety committee must be (deputy) health and safety representatives or if not practicable staff
- the committee must meet at least once every 3 months and at any other time if at least half of its members require a meeting.
3. The legislated functions of a health and safety committee are (under Section 72 of the OHS Act):
- facilitate consultation between management and staff on occupational health and safety matters
- to formulate, review and disseminate to staff the standards, rules and procedures relating to health and safety that are to be carried out or complied with at the workplace