If you want to study at Deakin, taking a pathway via TAFE to get here has many benefits. Gain credit for your TAFE course towards your Deakin degree and take advantage of guaranteed entry options.
What is a TAFE pathway?
A TAFE pathway is when you use your TAFE qualification to gain entry to Deakin. Whether you're a high school student, current TAFE student or TAFE graduate, you can choose to complete a degree at Deakin after TAFE study. Deakin has partnerships with a number of TAFE institutes, including several formal credit for prior learning arrangements. Deakin also offers some guaranteed entry pathways from selected TAFE partners.
Benefits of TAFE pathways
- You'll have not one but two qualifications – one from TAFE and one from Deakin.
- The combination of TAFE and university qualifications will provide you with an attractive mix of practical skills and theoretical knowledge, potentially increasing employment opportunities.
- Initially studying at TAFE and getting a qualification helps get you working, earning and networking sooner in an area relevant to your studies. Deakin's flexible study options enable you to then work and study at the same time.
- Save thousands of dollars on university costs by using credit for prior learning from your TAFE qualification and reducing the time you need to spend at university.
- If you don't live near Deakin, studying locally at one of our TAFE partners will also save you relocating and living costs.
- Take advantage of a staged approach to learning. You will experience a supported transition from school to tertiary education via TAFE studies, as well as acquire the skills required for tertiary study while undertaking a diploma at TAFE.
Credit for prior learning
If you undertake an eligible TAFE or Registered Training Organisation (RTO) course in a field similar to the Deakin course of your choice, you will gain credit for prior learning (CPL) towards your Deakin degree. This reduces the number of units you need to complete to obtain your Deakin degree, saving time and money. A wide range of courses lead to CPL. Access our online credit for prior learning database to determine what credit you may be eligible for and how long it will take you to complete your chosen undergraduate degree.
If your course isn't in the CPL database, don't worry – we welcome applications for credit for any prior studies at a TAFE or RTO.
We also have a range of formal pathway arrangements with many TAFEs across Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia for selected programs. Complete a diploma or advanced diploma from one of our partner TAFEs and you will receive between 6 and 18 months' credit towards your Deakin degree. Subject to meeting university academic entrance criteria, you will be offered a place to start in second year of a Deakin undergraduate degree at one of Deakin's campuses or through our flexible cloud (online) delivery.
Expressions of Interest for Trimester 1 close 15 February 2015. (Registration of Interest is still open.)
Deakin also offers guaranteed entry pathways from selected TAFE partners to university in a growing range of disciplines. Guaranteed entry pathways are formed as part of specific arrangements between certain TAFEs and Deakin. If you are taking a guaranteed entry pathway, as long as your study performance meets the required standard, you will be guaranteed a place at Deakin following successful completion of your TAFE course and benefit from substantial CPL. Guaranteed entry pathways provide more certainty about TAFE pathways before you even start at TAFE and enable you to progress seamlessly from selected TAFE courses to Deakin degrees.
|TAFE||Guaranteed entry pathways||TAFE||Guaranteed entry pathways|
Box Hill Institute
South West TAFE
Sunraysia Institute of TAFE
Wodonga Institute of TAFE
|New South Wales|
If your TAFE or RTO is not in the list of partners above, don't worry – we welcome applications for credit for any prior studies at a TAFE or RTO. Please register your interest in having an assessment done for credit for prior learning here.
Register your interest
If you would like to know more about TAFE pathways, please register your interest by completing the Registration of interest: Pathways to Deakin form and a staff member will be in touch with you soon to discuss your options.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 DEGREE (1300 334 733).