Department of Home Affairs Approved Welfare Arrangements
- If you are able to nominate a parent / legal custodian or a relative over 21 years to be your student guardian, complete the 157N Nomination of a Student Guardian form if a visa is required. This person must have either Australian citizenship / permanent residency status or a temporary visa. Remain in Australia for the duration of the student visa or until the student turns 18. If the student guardian needs to leave Australia during this time, alternative welfare arrangements will need to be put in place.
- Complete the Parents Declaration form. Return this form and identity document/s to Deakin. The identity documents must have a signature that matches the signature on the declaration.
- Upon arrival in Australia, the student should contact the International Student Adviser at the campus where they will be studying.
- Notify Deakin if there are any changes to the parents or guardian contact details.
Deakin Approved Welfare Arrangements
- If you are not able to nominate a student guardian, please make arrangements with one of the Deakin Approved Caregiver Services. Complete the relevant sections on the Confirmation of Appointment of Carer form and send this form to your nominated caregiver service. The caregiver service will return the completed form to you or your nominated agent.
- Complete the Homestay Application for Deakin Students form.
- Complete the Parents Declaration form and attach and identity document/s. The identity documents must have a signature that matches the signature on the declaration.
- Return the 3 completed forms to Deakin.
- Once Deakin has received the completed documentation, the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) letter will be issued.
- Upon arrival in Australia, immediately contact the caregiver service.
- In the first week of studies, meet with the International Student Adviser who will explain your obligations as an international students under 18 years of age.
- Notify Deakin if there are any changes to the parents contact details.
Deakin Approved Caregiver Services
ISA Guardianship & Welfare Services
Professional Student Care (Australia) Pty Ltd
A&J Student Care Services
Deakin Approved Accommodation Service
Student Accommodation Services (SAS)
2018 SAS Fees Structure
Students are required to pay a placement fee and a weekly fee of $315 (Burwood) or $300 (Geelong).
For information about terms and conditions, general information and homestay expectations, please read the Homestay information document.
Your local carer / guardian
Your local carer (guardian) will meet with you on regular basis. You should discuss any concerns with your carer, or contact the carer when you need assistance (e.g. opening a bank account, going to a doctor, etc.).
You should contact your campus International Student Adviser if you have any concern or issue about your carer.
Changing your Homestay or Local Carer
If you're under 18 and would like to change your accommodation, you must get written permission from your parents and approval from an International Student Adviser before you move - otherwise your enrolment with Deakin University might be terminated. Once approval is granted, Deakin will then notify Department of Home Affairs about any changes and whether or not it approves.
Your safety and security at Deakin
Deakin's Security Services are making our campuses safe and welcoming environments for students, staff and visitors 24-hours a day, 365 days a year. If anyone is in immediate or imminent danger on campus, contact Deakin Security on 1800 062 579 or Victoria Police on 000.
Safer Community is a Deakin wide service which aims to keep all campuses safe. We respond to all reports of behaviour which are concerning, inappropriate or threatening and offer support to all parties involved. If you are worried about someone or something just doesn’t feel quite right, please contact us for support, advice or information.
SafeZone is a free app for all Deakin University students and staff, that connects you directly to the Security team when you need help on campus.