Good practice in online communication
Some good practice ideas:
- Choose the most appropriate communication tools for each different type of communication (eg use the news tool for important messages; discussions for reflective conversations).
- Encourage students to communicate with peers and teachers to complete meaningful, collaborative activities.
- Provide explicit expectations for standards of communication (netiquette), and reinforce these in your own communications.
- Monitor and moderate communications to provide timely feedback and coaching, and ensure student safety is maintained.
For more information, see Designing your online/blended unit: site design and development.
e-Learning Maturity Model learning process descriptions:
- Students are provided with mechanisms for interaction with teaching staff and other students.
Salmon, G 2011, E-moderating: the key to teaching and learning online, 3rd edn, Routledge, Abingdon, Oxo
Good practice examples: