The CENRL's focus is upon the following:
- accelerating the creation of long-term environmental strategies for achieving sustainable development beyond 2015
- improving and facilitating domestic and global strategies for climate change mitigation and adaptation
- improving economical and social development in the use and exploitation of resources and environmental management among developing and developed countries
- implementing aspirational regulatory and policy goals for local and international communities to improve energy, resource and environmental management.
These goals have been recognised by the Chief Scientist of Australia, which listed supporting the development of reliable, low-cost, sustainable energy supplies and enhancing the long term viability of Australia's resources industries as one of its core strategic research priorities.
CENRL will provide opportunities for research and engagement in these crucially important areas of domestic and global concern. It will seek to liaise with industry, government and academia.
- 'The Agri South Africa Constitutional Court decision' (2014) 33 Australian Resources and Energy Law Journal 230-249 (PJ Badenhorst and NJJ Olivier).
- 'Alienation or disposal of a 'controlling interest' in a prospecting company - Mogale Alloys (Pty) Ltd v Nuco Chrome Boputhatswana (Pty) Ltd 2011 (6) SA 96 (GSJ)' 2012 De Jure 388-404 (PJ Badenhorst and JJ Du Plessis).
- 'Conflict resolution between owners of land and holders of rights to minerals: a lopsided triangle?' 2011 Journal of South African Law 326-341 ((PJ Badenhorst).
- Conversion of jointly-held old order mining rights: an all and nothing ruling? Minister of Mineral Resources of the RSA v Sishen Iron Ore (394/12)  ZASCA 50 (28 March 2013) 2014 (77) Journal of Contemporary Roman Dutch law 145-155 (PJ Badenhorst and NJJ Olivier).
- 'Conversion of 'old order mining rights': Sleeping at the MPRDA's wheel of (mis)fortune? - Sishen Iron Ore Company (Pty) Ltd v Minister of Mineral Resources (unreported decision) Case no 28980/10 (NGD)' 2013 (76) Journal of Contemporary Roman Dutch law 269-284 (PJ Badenhorst and NJJ Olivier).
- 'Expropriations by virtue of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act: Are there some more trees in the forest? Agri South Africa and Van Rooyen v Minister of Minerals and Energy 2009 Journal of South African Law 600-608 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Expropriation of old order mineral rights in South Africa: The Constitutional Court has its say (twice)' 2014 Property Law Review 53-58 (PJ Badenhorst)
- 'Expropriation of 'Unused Old Order Rights' by the MPRDA: You had nothing! Minister of Minerals and Energy v Agri SA (CALS amicus curiae)' 2013 Journal of Contemporary Roman Dutch law 472 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Expropriation of 'unused old order rights' by the MPRDA: you have lost it! Agri SA v Minister of Minerals and Energy2012 Journal of Contemporary Roman Dutch law 329-343 (PJ Badenhorst and NJJ Olivier).
- 'The final judgment' 2012 Journal of South African Law 106-129 (PJ Badenhorst, NJJ Olivier and C Williams).
- 'Host communities and competing applications for prospecting rights in terms of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act 28 of 2002' 2011 De Jure 126-148 (PJ Badenhorst and NJJ Olivier)
- 'Large-scale Expropriation of Mineral Rights in South Africa: The Agri South Africa fiasco' (2012) Australian Resources and Energy Law Journal 205-220 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Large scale Expropriation of Mineral Rights in South Africa: The Agri South Africa saga' (2011) Australian Resources and Energy Law Journal 261-272 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'The Make-up of Transitional Rights to Minerals: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue ...?' 2011 South African Law Journal 763-784 ((PJ Badenhorst).
- Member of a research project on 'Mineral law in Africa', of the Faculty of Law, University of Cape Town (since 2103).
- 'Mining and Minerals' Law of South Africa volume 18 (2nd edition) Butterworths (2007)(with Hanri Mostert and M Dendy).
- Mineral and Petroleum Law of South Africa: Commentary and Statutes Jutas (2004) (with 10 annual revision services)(PJ Badenhorst and Hanri Mostert).
- 'Minerals' in Hanri Mostert and Anne Pope The Principles of the Law of Property in South Africa Oxford University Press (2010) (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Onteiening van onbenutte ou-orde regte: Het iets niets geword?' Agri South Africa v Minister of Minerals and Energy (2013 (4) SA 1 (CC) 2014 Journal of Contemporary Roman Dutch law 313-333 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Ownership of minerals in situ in South Africa: Australian darning to the rescue?' 2010 South African Law Journal 646-672 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Paying the Piper (in praesentia) - Xstrata South Africa (Pty) Ltd v SFF Association (2012 (5) SA 60 (SCA))' 2013 Obiter 322 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Paying the Piper (in absentia) - SFF Association v Xstrata 2011 JDR 0407 (GSJ)' 2012 Obiter 436-447 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Publicly owned minerals: Let the truth be spoken - Cadia Holdings Pty Ltd v State of New South Wales  HCA 27' 2012 De Jure 605-623 (PJ Badenhorst).
- Review of a Refusal to Grant a Prospecting right Global Pact Trading 207 (Pty) Ltd v Minister of Minerals and Energy 2008 Obiter 113-123 (PJ Badenhorst and Marita Carnelley).
- 'Right of access to land for mining purposes: on terra firma at last? - Joubert v Maranda Mining Company (Pty) Ltd' 2010 Journal of Contemporary Roman-Dutch law 318-328 (PJ Badenhorst).
- Silberberg and Schoeman's The Law of Property 5th edition Butterworths (2006)(PJ Badenhorst, Juanita Pienaar and Hanri Mostert).
- 'Status of tailings dumps: Let's go working in the past?' 2010 Stellenbosch Law Review 116-130 (PJ Badenhorst and CN Van Heerden).
- 'A Tale of two Expropriations: Newcrestia and Agrizania' 2014 De Jure 258-282 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Towards a theory on publically-owned minerals in Victoria' (2014) 22 Australian Property Law Journal 157-186 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Transitional prospecting rights: A moratorial escort across the bridge? De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd v Regional Manager, Mineral Regulation Free State Region:Department of Minerals and Energy' 2011 2 Obiter 463-472 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Security of mineral tenure in South Africa: Carrot or stick?' 2014 (32.1) Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law 5-40 (PJ Badenhorst).
- 'Security of mineral tenure in South Africa: Carrot or stick?' paper delivered at the Centre for Resources, Energy and Environmental law at the Melbourne School of Law on 10 September 2013.
- 'Towards and old school theory on (new) rights to minerals' in Carnelley, Hoctor and Mukbheibir (Eds) De Jure Gentium et Civili Festscrift in honour of Eltjo Schrage (2014) 119-143 (PJ Badenhorst).
Events and Media
Australian Energy Week 2017 Conference
Professor Sam Hepburn is an invited speaker at the Australian Energy Week 2017 Conference energy policy forum on 23 June.
Meeting Regulatory Challenges in a Transitioning Energy Sector
On Tuesday 16 May, the Centre for Energy and Natural Resources Law presented an event hosted by Corrs Chambers Westgarth. Michelle Groves, Chief Executive Officer, Office of the Australian Energy Regulator, examined the regulatory and policy environment relevant to transitioning energy sector, the rationales underlying energy regulation, the hallmarks of good regulation, the existing framework for renewables and the conventional grid, and what the future might look like in terms of a shift towards intelligent resilient grids.
SA Energy Crisis
Professor Samantha Hepburn discusses the energy crisis in South Australia and the need for a new regulatory framework with the integration of renewable energy on 5aa Radio, Adelaide.