The Intelligent Agents tool allows you to automatically generate a response (e.g. email) to various situations that may arise in your unit. This can greatly assist your student retention techniques. Arising situations are detected by the conditions that you set.
The criteria that the agents search for are login activity and release conditions in the Learning Environment. You can use existing release conditions, or create new ones for your agents. The agent also sends a separate email to the creator of the agent when it finds users matching its criteria. You can run agents manually or set them to run on a schedule; daily, weekly, monthly, or annually.
Example uses for intelligent agents include:
- email users with grades below a certain level
- email users that have not logged in within a specific number of days
- email users that view a specific content topic
Every time an agent runs, it sends a log of its activities to its creator. This email lists the following information:
- unit code and name
- which agent ran
- time and date the request was submitted
- time and date the request was finished
- whether the agent took action
- any error text
Create an Intelligent Agent
- Click on Site Tools and then click on Other Tools.
- Click on Intelligent Agents.
- Click New on the Agent List page.
- Type an Agent Name for the agent.
- Type a Description.
- Clear the Status check box if you do not want the agent enabled once you save.
- Determine the Agent Criteria, if you want the agent to search for login criteria, select the Take action when the following login criteria are satisfied check box and choose which of the two login activities you want to monitor.
- If you want the agent to search for site activity, select the Take action when the following site activity criteria are satisfied check box and choose which of the two accessed site you want to monitor.
- If you want the agent to respond when a release condition is met: select the Attach Existing, or Create and Attach button and either select or create release conditions for the agent to monitor.
- Select one of the Action Repetition radio buttons to set whether the agent takes action once or any time the conditions are met.
- If you want the agent to run on a schedule, select the Use Calendar check box, then click the Update Calendar button. Set the schedule in the Update Agent Calendar pop-up.
- Select HTML or Plain Text radio buttons for the email format.
- Type the names of recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc field by using special replace strings in these fields. See Replacement strings.
- Type the subject in the Email Subject field. You can use special replace strings in this field.
- Type the body of your email in the Message field.
- Click Save.
Typically, intelligent agents are set up to run automatically. If you do not have a regular calendar set up for an agent, you must run it manually.
- Click Run agent now from context menu of the agent you wish to run.
- Click Run to confirm.
Manage Intelligent Agents
Edit an Intelligent Agent
- Click on the name of the agent you want to edit.
- Make your revisions.
- Click Save and Close.
Delete an Intelligent Agent
- Click Delete icon from context menu of the agent you wish to delete.
Note: You cannot recover deleted agents.