Borrow from our libraries
- What can I borrow and for how long?
- How to borrow books
- How to return books
- Borrow e-books
- Photocopy requests
- Borrow digital equipment
- My checkouts & holds
- Delivery service
- Information for other libraries
What can I borrow and for how long?
- general loans include: books, DVDs, videos, and study resource material
- prescribed texts and other high use items may have short loan periods
- BONUS+ loans are books requested from other libraries
To find out when your book is due, login to My checkouts and holds.
|Borrower||General loan*||7 day loan*||BONUS+ (1 renewal)*||Renew no. of times||Borrow no. of items|
|Campus student (including DUELI and Deakin College)||21 days||7 days||21 days||50||50|
|Online student (including overseas)||42 days||15 days (inc. delivery period)||21 days**||50||50|
|Students referred by Disability Resource Centre (DRC)||42 days||15 days (inc. delivery period)||21 days||50||50|
|Staff & Phd/Masters students (including DeakinPrime)||21 days||15 days (inc. delivery period)||21 days||100||100|
|Non-award students, Community members (includes CAVAL, ULANZ, School Students, Alumni, DeakinPrime VET)||21 days||Not available||Not available||1||10|
*Can be renewed if no-one else has requested the item.
**Please note we are unable to send books belonging to other libraries overseas (this includes BONUS+ books).
We can offer flexible loans for most Library items, just ask us. Students registered with the Disability Resource Centre are eligible for extra library services, including longer loan periods.
2 hour and 1 day loans
Deakin staff and students can borrow 2 hour and 1 day loans. These high use items cannot be placed on hold. Renewals and delivery are not available.
If you borrow a 2 hour loan within 2 hours of closing time, it must be returned as soon as your campus library opens the next day.
1 day loans are due by closing time the next day.
Overdue points apply for late returns.
Students registered with the DRC can borrow 2 hour loans for 1 day, and 1 day loans for 3 days.
How to borrow books
- Find your book. To do this, use Library Search.
- Locate it on the shelf and continue to checkout. If your item is not at your campus, or available:
- Checkout your book using your Deakin Card. Use the Express Checkout unit in your campus library, just follow the onscreen prompts. Or you can visit the service desk and we can process it for you.
Note: For item requests from another campus, allow 1-3 weekdays for transit, from available date.
You may be able to borrow from other libraries if we don't have what you're looking for.
How to return books
Return your book to any of our campus libraries:
- at the Service Desk
- through the return chute (near the Service Desk)
- through the after-hours return chute
- via the prepaid postal bag (supplied with your delivery)
- by airmail (overseas students), please send your receipt for reimbursement separately
If you need a copy of an article that is not online, submit a copy request form. We'll email a copy of your document within 5 days.
Borrow digital equipment
For equipment and assistive technology you can use, check your campus library. The range of equipment varies between campuses.
My checkouts & holds
View and renew your items
Renew items that you have on loan from a few days before they are due.
- Select 'Checkouts' in My checkouts & holds
- Select the item(s) you wish to renew
- Click 'Renew Marked' or 'Renew All'
Items that can not be renewed include:
- Items on hold by other borrowers
- reserve items (2 hour loans)
- 1 day loan items
- Interlibrary loans
Note: To limit overdue points, please return items on time.
Cancel your hold
View your reading history
You can keep track of the items you have borrowed.
- Select 'Reading History' in My checkouts & holds
- Click 'Save Reading History'
Note: Only items borrowed after you 'Save Reading History' will be listed.
Who can use it?
- Cloud Campus students
- campus students only enrolled in online units
- students with a disability may also be eligible
Get an item delivered
- Select from your search result
- Choose 'Postal Delivery' as your pickup location
Visit our FAQs for appropriate delivery times.
Note: 1 day and 2 hour loans cannot be delivered.
Return your book by post
Return your item to:
Library Delivery Service
Deakin University Library
Locked bag 20000
Geelong, Victoria, Australia 3220
You will receive a prepaid postal bag with your delivery.
Simply airmail your item to the address above.
Return postage will be at your own expense, though you can apply for reimbursement of the postage fee (not custom fee) by sending a copy of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to the address above.
Your receipt should contain the cost of postage in the local currency and our delivery address.
Reimbursements can be:
- deposited into an Australian bank account
- sent as an overseas draft
- transferred to your overseas bank account ($10 fee)
We do not reimburse customs duty fees.
Information for other libraries
We lend material from our collections under the terms of The Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code. We supply loans and copies of material in accordance with the Copyright Act (1968) and its amendments.
We offer 8 week loans, with no renewals.
Borrowing our theses may be subject to additional conditions. We don't lend our theses to overseas libraries, however, purchasing a copy may be possible.
Material generally not available for loan includes:
- whole journal issues
- special collections
- recently published books
- electronic resources
- reference material
- reading list material
- audio-visual items
Please email our interlibrary loan staff if you have any further queries.
New Zealand libraries
Loans or copy requests up to 50 pages ar A$15.00 (per item, GST exempt) including postage.
- Loans are A$45.00 (or 4 IFLA vouchers).
- Copy requests up to 50 pages are A$25.00 (per item) or 1 IFLA voucher per 15 pages.