Borrow from other libraries
Who you can borrow from
Depending on your membership type, you may be able to borrow from other libraries - through us.
|Campus students and staff (including DeakinCo)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Online students* - residing in Australia||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Community, secondary school student and overseas members. Deakin alumni, and OUA||No||No||No||No|
*Our borrow from other library services are not available if you live outside of Australia. You may be able to borrow from international libraries.
Bonus+ allows staff and students (including DeakinCo) to request books from other university libraries and borrow them from a Deakin library.
- Search BONUS+ or select the button from your Library Search results.
- Staff and postgraduate students may have 10 BONUS+ requests/loans at any one time.
- Undergraduates may have five BONUS+ requests/loans at any one time.
Visit individual library websites to check their borrowing terms and find out what you can access.
To obtain or renew your CAVAL card:
- Take your DeakinCard, photo ID and proof of your Australian address to the service desk of a participating library.
- Alternatively, visit one of our Service Desks and sign up for your card.
Your CAVAL membership will expire on 28 February though you can re-register.
If you have unpaid fines with another institution your ability to borrow may be blocked with them, and with us.
- Go directly to the host library to register. Take proof of your current enrolment/employment at Deakin University.
Trove contains over 100 million online resources relating to Australia, including newspapers, images, articles and other documents.
If you are living overseas, we can supply a letter of introduction for your local library.
- Take the letter and your Deakin University card to ask about borrowing.
- It is up to the international library to decide if they can grant you access.
- For further information contact email@example.com
Deakin staff and students can access items that support research and teaching needs that are not held by us, or our partnered libraries. There is no fee or limit to the number of items you can request.
When you submit a request you're making a legal declaration to abide by the conditions of the Copyright Act 1968 (Commonwealth).
Request, return and renew
- Submit an Interlibrary loan request
- The return date will appear on the yellow interlibrary loan strap that wraps your book. Make sure you return the item and yellow strap together by the due date.
- To renew a loan, please contact interlibrary loan staff.
Conditions of use and loan periods are set by the lending library, some items are not able to be renewed.
Loan items requested by staff and cloud students will be sent via mail. Campus students will pick-up items at their campus library.
All requests for articles, conference papers and book chapters will be supplied as copies via email.
Overseas students can only request photocopies.
Most university libraries do not loan their theses but we can put in a request on your behalf. If a copy has to be made it can take 6-8 weeks, depending on the thesis format. Once you receive the copy, it is yours to keep.
Contact interlibrary loan staff
9 am-5 pm (EST) Monday-Friday
+61 3 5227 1203
+61 3 5227 2000