Geelong Waterfront Library refurbishment
Your Library is being enhanced!
The Geelong Waterfront Library will soon be transformed as part of the current refurbishment to support the increased campus academic profile, following the relocation of Business and Law from Waurn Ponds.
This new Library will represent the global nature of information access, providing a high-quality environment to work, learn, research and connect with a strong focus on e-resources and ready availability to a collection of core and high-use Library print and audio-visual materials. The Library will increase in size but space will be limited.
The refurbishment will result in an exciting, new, inviting Library that will:
- Showcase Health, Business & Law, Architecture & Built Environment through zones, drawing together electronic and physical information resources.
- Ensure students and staff can better access our expert Library staff from a new service area.
- Enhance study, research and connectivity using the latest technologies and equipment.
- Provide saturated WiFi coverage, power and data - strongly supporting use of portable and mobile devices.
- Offer zoned quiet and active collaborative learning spaces.
- Offer additional technology-enabled group study rooms, accommodating both small and large groups, as well as individual study pods.
- Incorporate a conveniently located café at the entrance.
- Provide faster and easier borrowing capability using new equipment fitted with the latest technology.
- Allow for improved access with the significant expansion of the main entry and a new second entry.
- Maximise the Geelong Waterfront location and views with significantly improved amenities.
What’s happening with the building works?
Building works have already commenced and the first stage of development will be completed, with new spaces available, by mid-year.
Works on the current Library space form the second stage of development and will commence by mid-year, resulting in the Library relocating to the newly completed area.
The Library project is due for completion by the end of 2013.
What will be available during building works?
- The Library will remain operational throughout building works.
- All existing Library resources and services will be available.
- Construction will be staged to minimise disruption, however it is inevitable that each stage will require temporary movement and relocation of specific services, or facilities, until they are permanently relocated.
We apologise in advance for any inconvenience during the refurbishment.
What other spaces are available to you?
New learning and student spaces
There are many new learning spaces available on levels 2, 3 and 4 of the John Hay building, Building D at the Geelong Waterfront Campus. Our staff can help you find a space to suit your needs so just ask at the Library Service Desk.
You can also make use of the free Geelong inter-campus bus service, which travels between both campuses, in order to find a space that suits you at the Geelong Waurn Ponds Campus.
Quiet research spaces
You can access the Alfred Deakin Prime Ministerial Library, located on level 1 of the Sally Walker Building, during and after refurbishments.
Keep up-to-date on the building developments:
Keep informed about what’s happening and when through the Library website, our social media channels and relevant building signage and updates within the Waterfront and Waurn Ponds Campus libraries.
To find out more about the building refurbishment and see the interactive tours of the new Library, visit the Deakin Facilities Services website.
We’re always interested to hear from you regarding our services, or this refurbishment, in order to address your needs or concerns.
Phone: +61 3 5227 1200