Deakin open access journals
Use open access publishing to create and share your scholarship, and connect with a global audience.
- openjournals@Deakin, showcasing academic publications by our university faculties, research groups and affiliates
- discourse: Deakin University Library research and practice, a series bridging formative Llibrary working documents with final peer-reviewed works
Build your journal's profile
In an increasingly competitive publishing environment, where quality, reputation and brand count, it’s important for journal managers and editors to position their publications well, ensuring they are discoverable by a global audience.
We provide guidance, feedback and training for journal setup, including layout and design. You can also:
- explore available customisations on the OJS platform
- undertake training provided through the PKP School: OJS for Journal Managers, OJS for Editors.
Enhance publication quality
Once your journal has been published:
- Register for an ISSN
- Submit for inclusion in Ulrich's, the premier independent global periodicals directory
- Recommend authors Register for an ORCiD (OJS is now a member of ORCiD)
- Link your Elements and ORCID profiles
For Deakin-hosted journals:
- Assign a DOI to improve discoverability
- Manage the peer review process with OJS
Increase exposure of your journal by:
- Submitting the hosting website for search engine indexing in Google Scholar
- Ensure accessibility via the Library website
- Get indexed in key databases. Examples of database journal selection criteria include:
Social media is a rapidly growing platform for promoting journals and papers. Being proactive in this space can build your online networks and maximise exposure.
Publisher guides for increased exposure:
- Editor Resources – raising the profile of my journal – Taylor & Francis
- Journal Authors Promotional Toolkit – Wiley Online Library
- 7 Examples of Great Journal Promotion – Scholastica Blog
- Author Services – ensuring your research makes an impact - Taylor & Francis
- Authors – tips for promoting your research – Nature
- How to improve the impact of your paper – Elsevier
- Social media for authors – Oxford Journals
- How can social media be used to increase article citation? – SAGE
Track usage and engagement
Monitor readership levels, download statistics and other measures of use via:
All journals hosted by Deakin, where articles have Deakin authors, are added to the institutional repository DRO.
Deakin has also submitted the 5 openjournals@Deakin journals to be preserved by the National Library’s PANDORA archive.
openjournals@Deakin journals are also eligible to be archived via the PKP LOCKSS preservation process.