About the Collection
Prior to his death in October 1997 Professor Louis Goldberg arranged for his extensive collection of books, periodicals and papers on accounting to be housed in the Special Collection at the Geelong Waterfront Campus Library of Deakin University .
The Louis Goldberg Collection comprises over 3,000 books, pamphlets and periodicals on accounting and commerce, including Professor Goldberg's own publications and many rare and significant works dating from the 17th century. The Collection also includes approximately 17 linear metres of manuscript material, including drafts, research material and notes used by Professor Goldberg in his numerous publications. There is a significant amount of material on accounting methodology and education, and the history of accounting.
The Collection is a unique resource for researching the history of accounting, the development of accounting as an academic discipline, and the life and professional career of Louis Goldberg. The Collection may be consulted in the reading room of the Alfred Deakin Prime Ministerial Library, Sally Walker Building, Geelong Waterfront Campus.
Books and Periodicals
Book and periodical titles in The Louis Goldberg Collection are individually catalogued and listed in the Library Catalogue. Material from the Collection has the prefix:
DU ADPML SPLGA
All the book and periodical titles in The Louis Goldberg Collection can be viewed with a single search of the catalogue.
The manuscript collection is also listed in the catalogue and a detailed finding aid is available from the catalogue record.
Author Goldberg, Louis, 1908-
Title [Papers] [manuscript] [1920-1997 / Louis Goldberg]
The Louis Goldberg Collection provides an excellent research resource for:
- The history of accounting
- The development of accounting as an academic discipline
- The professional working life of Professor Louis Goldberg
The establishment of the collection was sponsored by the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants and the Faculty of Business and Law, Deakin University.
Opening of the Collection
The Collection was officially opened at the Geelong Waterfront Campus Library by Professor Geoff Wilson AM Vice-Chancellor & President, Deakin University on June 2, 1999.