Planning the search
Consider the main focus of your research, and the specific ideas that you're investigating. It can be helpful to focus your topic by asking yourself the following questions:
- What type of information do I need, and what don't I need?
- Do I want current or historical information?
- Am I interested in a particular geographic region?
- How much information willbe enough?
Your search terms are derived from the key concepts and they need to be selected carefully to ensure a successful search. Create search terms that are:
- relevant to your topic
- broad enough to include other related materials OR
- narrow enough to find really specific and specialised information
Need more help?
- Check out the Smart Searcher module on Analysing a Topic