Graduation day is nearly here, and getting ready is simple. All you need to do is register, pay your fees and get ready to be a part of the next generation of Deakin graduates.
Registering for your graduation
In your final trimester of study, you'll receive an invite to register for graduation via your Deakin email address. Once you've received your email, you can register for the next round of ceremonies via StudentConnect.
How to register
- Go to StudentConnect.
- Click on the 'Apply to graduate' link on the side menu and follow the prompts.
- Check that your postal address, telephone number/s and email
address is current.
- Use the 'View your application status' link on the StudentConnect
side menu to check if your application was successful.
- Your award eligibility will be confirmed on your ‘View your application status’.
- Contact Student Central if you need help with your registration.
- You'll receive a ceremony information email confirming your ceremony information four to six weeks prior to your graduation.
Note: If you have chosen to attend your ceremony, you will need to pay your graduation fee at the time of registration.
Your graduation fee includes everything you need for your ceremony: academic dress hire, a keepsake trencher you can take home after your ceremony, two guests tickets and light refreshments for you and your guests after the ceremony.
If you can't attend your ceremony
You can choose to graduate 'in absentia' in StudentConnect if you can't make it to your graduation.
Graduating 'in absentia' means graduating without attending the graduation ceremony. Your qualification is officially conferred by the University Chancellery in your absence and goes on public record. Your testamur is sent to you after the graduation.
Graduation 'in absentia' costs nothing.
As your testamur will be sent to you, it's very important that your address and phone details are up to date in StudentConnect.
NOTE: The international graduation ceremonies held in December are only for students wanting to attend their graduation ceremony. Eligible international students are not able to graduate 'in absentia' at the December ceremonies.
Deferring your graduation
Deferring your graduation means that you wish to postpone your ceremony attendance to a later round of ceremonies. You won't graduate or receive your testamur until you graduate at a future ceremony.
To defer your graduation, simply select the 'defer' option in StudentConnect. You will then be sent a new invitation at the appropriate time for the next round of ceremonies.
You can choose to defer your graduation for a maximum of 12 months after your course completion date.
Four weeks notice from the date of the ceremony must be given to either cancel or defer your ceremony. If fewer than four weeks notice is given, your award will be conferred at your allocated ceremony and your testamur will be sent to your registered postal address following the ceremonies. Please allow up to six weeks for delivery.
Changing your name for graduation
If you need to change your name for your testamur (certificate), ceremony and other graduation documents, email an enrolment variation form (below) with your new details. You'll also need to include supporting documents, your student number and date of birth. This must be received by the Graduation office five weeks prior to your ceremony date.
Supporting document examples
- Birth certificate with change of name details.
- Citizenship certificate with change of name details.
- Change of name certificate.
- Deed poll document.
- Marriage or registered relationship certificate (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, not commemorative certificate).
- Divorce decree/revocation of registered relationship or death certificate of spouse or adult partner of a registered relationship.
- Court order directing child's change of name.
Replacing graduation documents
Original copies of all graduation documents – your testamur, transcript and AHEGS – are free, but there are charges if you need to replace them.
Special assistance for you or your guests
As a graduate, you can request any special assistance when registering via StudentConnect.
As a guest, if you contact us before the ceremony date, we'll arrange for special assistance or access.
On the day, if either graduate or guest needs to bring along a carer, we'll provide them with a ticket at no cost.