Respect. Now. Always
Safety and respect are central to our university’s culture. It starts with Respect. Now. Always.
Deakin University is committed to being a learning and working environment that is a place of safety and respect. The university has a zero tolerance approach to sexual and interpersonal violence and harassment.
One incident is one too many when it comes to sexual and interpersonal violence and Deakin has a number of prevention strategies in place to promote respectfulness and challenge inappropriate behaviour. Here’s what we do to achieve it:
Deakin has specialist staff trained in responding to serious incidents and providing the appropriate support and privacy to victims and cooperates with Victoria Police by assisting with enquiries and investigations.
Central point of enquiry for information, advice and support in managing problem behaviours that have, or could, cause offence, fear or trauma (physical and or psychological). These behaviours can compromise the safety of members of the Deakin Community and are therefore a priority for the University to address.
- Find out more about Safer Community
We provide free confidential psychological support to students and staff. Counselling staff also deliver Mental Health First Aid training.
Specialist sexual assault counsellors attend campuses one day a week. The CASA counsellors also deliver training on “Responding to Sexual Assault”
If you’re not happy about something, we want to work with you to resolve it.
- Find out more about Student Concerns and Complaints
We run a number of programs and events to support a university culture that is diverse, accessible and inclusive.
- Find out more about Equity and Diversity
The University has over 75 HDCOs trained to assist staff and students with concerns about discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying
- Find out more about Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officers
We’re inclusive and want all students to be supported to participate fully in university life. The Disability Resource Centre can also work with HR to support workplace adjustments if you’re a member of staff.
- Find out more about Disability Resource Centre
The health and wellbeing of our students and staff matter to Deakin. We provide confidential medical services on all campuses.
- Find out more about Deakin Medical Centres
Free confidential, Independent advice
24/7 security presence on campus and residences, including escort service
A free app for staff and students connecting to the Deakin Security team help is needed on campus.
A free on-campus legal service at Deakin , in partnership with Eastern Community Legal Centre (ECLC) and Barwon Community Legal Service (BCLS).
- 24/7 reception and security
- Residential Leader program
- Systematic consultation, referral and collaboration with University services (counselling, medical, safer community.)
- Hunting Ground screenings
- Staff trained by Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA)
- Compulsory staff Harassment and Discrimination training
- International students orientation to culture, behavioural standards and norms including emphasis on available support.
- Program to promote bystander engagement among students including “You the Man” play performances
- Health promotion events, including Health and Wellbeing Week, ESSENCE Week
- White Ribbon Day
- Equity and Diversity policy
- Health, Wellbeing and Safety policy
- Risk and Compliance Management policy
- Staff Code of Conduct
- Student Code of Conduct
- Lease / Licence agreement for Residential students contains strong clauses on behavioural standards
- Student Complaints Resolution Policy
- General Misconduct Regulations
- Enterprise Agreement and HR Policies relating to staff conduct.
- Critical Incident Management Procedures
- Guidelines for responding to someone disclosing sexual assault
About the Respect Now Always campaign
- A sector-wide campaign to prevent sexual assault and harassment
- A campaign to educate and empower
- A national campaign with local leadership
- An opportunity to keep improving policies and responses
- A year of heightened awareness
Find out more
- Report a concern
- To read more about the campaign nationally, visit: Respect.Now.Always. #respectnowalways
- View Deakin's media release Deakin partners on national 'Respect. Now. Always.' campaign (12 February 2016)
The Hunting Ground screenings at Deakin
- Waterfront: Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 2-5pm in D4.303
- Warrnambool: Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 2-5pm in F1.01
- Waurn Ponds: Wednesday, 6 April 2016, 3-6pm in KE1.207
- Burwood: Thursday, 7 April 2016, 2-5pm in HD3.008/9