The Victorian Government has introduced Child Safe Standards to improve the way organisations providing services for children (people under 18 years) prevent and respond to child abuse that may occur within their organisation. There are almost 1,000 students under 18 at Deakin, with many more engaged through research, school outreach, work experience and other programs.
Statement of commitment
The University acknowledges that children are part of the University community as students, research subjects, visitors and through the University’s community engagement and school outreach activities.
The University is committed to child safety and promoting children’s best interests, including the cultural safety of Aboriginal children and children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and the safety of children with a disability.
The University will not tolerate child abuse, will continue to integrate strategies to reduce child abuse risks into its practices and will effectively respond to any child abuse allegations.
Policies and procedures
(Currently under development)
- Child Safety Policy
- Child Safety and Child Abuse Response and Reporting procedure
- Student Code of Conduct
- Staff Code of Conduct
It is the shared responsibility of the University community to protect children and prevent child abuse. Our intention is for all members of the Deakin University community, including children and their parents or guardians, to feel confident to discuss any safety concerns or allegations of child abuse.
To support this:
- All staff are required to complete relevant compliance training modules.
- All staff whose roles potentially involve interaction with children and young people up to the age of 18 are required to have a Working with Children Check.
- Deakin’s Child Safety and Child Abuse Response and Reporting procedure has been established for the Deakin community.
- A system is in place to report and respond to child safety concerns as displayed in the Child safety reporting process flowchart (PDF, 164.5 KB) .
Key contacts and support
If you have any concerns about child safety at Deakin, please contact the Safer Community Team.