+61 3 5247 9268
Improving campus access
The campus entrance upgrades will involve:
- Installation of traffic signals at both intersections on Pigdons Road, at Alfred Deakin Drive
- (Entrance 1) and Nicol Drive North (Entrance 2)
- Traffic island delineation
- Service relocations and kerb widening
- New shared pathway connections
- Improved bicycle lanes along Pigdons Road and the internal connections
- Creation of a left turn lane for exiting via Entrance 2
- Essential remedial works to Boyd Waters (the lake), Lake Drive and the internal roundabout near Entrance 1.
The entrance upgrades are part of a wider campus access and traffic management plan to support the growing number of students, staff and visitors accessing the Waurn Ponds Campus, both in the short and long-term.
Deakin is working closely with VicRoads and the City of Greater Geelong on the design and construction program, to ensure the upgrade considers the current and future traffic forecasts for the campus, neighbours and other Pigdons Road users.
The construction program will be in three stages, to ensure there is always at least one entry point open.
Stage 1: Saturday 24 November to Saturday 8 December 2018
- Minor enabling civil works will be undertaken around Entrance 2. The entrance will remain open throughout most of this time.
Stage 2: Sunday 9 December 2018 to Saturday 26 January 2019
- Temporary closure of Entrance 1 to facilitate civil and remediation works along Alfred Deakin Drive, Lake Drive, the lake and the roundabout. This will include installation of new traffic signals at the entrance.
- Detours will be place to redirect Deakin traffic via Entrance 2 and Nicol Drive North.
- Public transport users will need to use the temporary bus stop in Car Park 8. The bus stop near Building JB will be closed.
- Intercampus bus users will need to use bus stop 3, near Building LA. The other stops will be closed.
Stage 3: Saturday 26 January to Friday 8 February 2019
- Pigdons Road signalisation installation and civil works. Entrance 2 will closed intermittently during this period however Entrance 1 will be operational. Detours will be in place as required.
- Lake Drive works will be continuing in this period.
Potential construction impacts
During construction, there will be changed traffic conditions along Pigdons Road, Lake Drive, Alfred Deakin Drive (Entrance 1) and Nicol Drive North (Entrance 2).
Car Park 4, adjacent to Building DA, will not be available during Stage 2. The best alternative parking, including accessible parking spaces, is in Car Park 2 behind Building JC (Library).
Traffic management personnel will be in place during construction, and works will be planned to minimise disruption during peak times of campus entry and exit.
Please allow additional travel time for campus entry and exit, and any detours in place, during the construction period.