Trimester 1, 2018
+61 3 9246 8455
Supporting a range of transport options
The Car Park 12 Expansion (PDF, 400.2KB) will provide additional car-parking spaces at our Melbourne Burwood Campus.
It will also include provision of end-of-trip facilities for active transport users, with secure bike storage and change room facilities with lockers and showers.
The car park design and aesthetics will be improved to be more sympathetic to the neighbourhood, whilst ensuring visibility and safety for car park users is maintained.
Contractors will mobilise on site in late-September, with construction commencing from 23 October 2017. Sections of Car park 12 will be closed during Trimester 3 to facilitate the building works. A section of Car Park 11 will also be closed at this time. With the completion of Morgan's Walk and the Burwood Link pedestrian bridge, Car Park 6 has been identified as a practical and convenient alternative to Car Park 12.
Construction will be completed and the new car park spaces available by March 2018 at the commencement of Trimester 1.
Construction noise and disruption
Due to the nature of large-scale building projects, there will be some noise and disruption during the construction period, however a number of steps will be taken to reduce this where practical.
- Approximately 180 spaces will remain open in Car Park 12 during the construction period.
- The current orange permit spaces in Car Park 12, Level 1, will remain accessible throughout the construction period.
- The current accessible car park spaces in Car Park 12 will not be available during construction however two temporary accessible parking spaces will be provided on Level 1. There are also four accessible spaces available within Car Park 9 (two near Building LC and two near Building EC). Additional to this, more accessible spaces will be provided in Car Park 6, Levels 1 and 2, as a temporary measure during the project.
- Mesh will be installed along the east and north faces of the building site to reduce visual impact for nearby student residents.
- Works will be conducted during standard construction hours.
- Monday to Friday, 7.00am – 6.00pm
- Saturday, 8.00am – 1.00pm
- Traffic management signage and systems will be implemented to minimise congestion around the site and to ensure the safe flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in the area.
- Advance notice will be provided if any service disruptions are required to facilitate works.
Questions and answers
We appreciate there will be some short-term inconvenience associated with the construction works and ask for your patience while we work to increase the long-term parking provision for the Burwood Campus.
Why is this needed?
The community of students and staff in this area of campus is growing with the recent completion of a new student accommodation building and the upcoming new Deakin Law School Building.
This community needs to be supported by an appropriate level of parking and active transport facilities.
Once the Car Park 12 expansion is completed, the total car parking capacity at our Melbourne Burwood Campus will be approximately 4,500.
How big will it be?
The multi-deck area of the car park will be extended by two levels, to a total of five levels.
What will it look like?
Façade works will be undertaken to improve the visual amenity of the car park and the associate building MA classrooms. Improvements will be made by removing the existing louvered façade surrounding Car Park 12 ad Building MA and installing a new architecturally-designed perforate metal screen façade to new and existing levels.
The project will also include end-of-trip facilities with bicycle storage, storage lockers and male and female change facilities for students and staff. These facilities will be secured with swipe card access.
Wi-Fi and CCTV security cameras will also be installed to new and existing car park facilities.
Is it restricted to staff and students?
Parking permits are required in General Parking Permit Zones at Deakin University between the hours of 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
Short term casual parking permits (hourly/daily) are available to anyone visiting the campus, with long term permits available for students and staff.
For more about parking fees and charges refer to the parking page.
We're fully committed to keeping our communities informed during the construction period. If you have further concerns, please contact the project manager at the details above.