Domestic application info
Application information for domestic applicants
How to Apply for the Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery
Please read all information carefully.
Step 1: Register for, and sit the Graduate Australian Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT). See website for details: http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/home/
GAMSAT results are valid for two years, therefore test results from 2015 and 2016 can be used for 2017 applications.
All domestic applicants must sit the GAMSAT test. A minimum GAMSAT Overall Score of 50 with a minimum of 50 in each of the three Sections is required to be eligible to apply.
Step 2: Apply for Admission
All domestic applicants must submit an online application through the Graduate Entry Medical Schools Admissions System (GEMSAS). http://www.gemsas.edu.au
The closing date to lodge an application for the Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery course, for 2017 entry, is Tuesday 31st May 2016 at 11:59pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Selection into the Deakin Medical course is based on undergraduate academic record (weighted Grade Point Average (GPA), GAMSAT score and interview performance.
Bonuses apply for:
1. Applicants who meet defined regional and rural residency criteria have a bonus added to the combined GPA and GAMSAT score. To qualify for a bonus for rural/regional residency, applicants must have lived for at least 10 years cumulatively or any 5 years consecutively ) after birth in a place classified by the Australian Standard Geographic Classification – Remote Areas (ASGC-RA) system as level 2-5. The bonus is also given to applicants who have lived in the City of Greater Geelong for at least 10 years cumulatively or 5 years consecutively from birth.
- Residence in ASGC-RA 2 or the City of Greater Geelong: a bonus of 2% of the combined GPA and GAMSAT score.
- Residence in ASGC-RA 3 - 5: a bonus of 4% of the combined GPA and GAMSAT/MCAT score.
2. Applicants who have completed one year fulltime of clinical practice as a registered health professional receive a 2% bonus. The following health disciplines will attract a 2% bonus: Chiropractic, Dentistry, Nursing, Midwifery, Optometry, Osteopathy, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Podiatry, Psychology, Occupational Therapy, Dietetics, Speech Pathology, Paramedics, and practitioners in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health, Chinese Medicine and Medical Radiation.
3. Applicants who can demonstrate that they have suffered financial disadvantage, which may have impacted on academic performance during their undergraduate degree, may qualify for the financial disadvantage bonus.
Applicants who are able to demonstrate that they have been in receipt of a Centrelink / StudyLink benefit for at least 12 calendar months during their undergraduate degree, receive a 2% bonus. Deakin Medical School recognises the following benefits:
ABSTUDY, AUSTUDY, Parent Payment (Partnered or Single), Youth Allowance, Disability Pension, Veterans Means Assessed Pension.
New Zealand: StudyLink
StudyLink benefits apply for applicants from New Zealand. Please note, this does not include a StudyLink student loan.
NB: Please see Domestic admission for detailed information about the bonuses and the required supporting documentation.
Step 3: Submit Supporting Documentation
Applicants who wish to apply for the prior clinical experience in a health discipline bonus or the financial disadvantage bonus; must provide (to GEMSAS), supporting documentation postmarked no later than 5:00pm AEST on Friday 10th June 2016.
Applicants who wish to apply for the Rural / Regional residency bonus must provide (to GEMSAS) supporting documentation, postmarked no later than 5.00pm AEST, Friday 24th June 2016.
Please send your supporting documentation and the cover sheet, which you will print out after you have applied online via GEMSAS, to:
PO Box 522
Ferny Hills DC
Do not send supporting documentation to Deakin University. All information is correct at the time of publication. Last updated 8 March 2016.